Building a swing seat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigMac

Established Member
Reaction score
Right I've convinced the wife to let me have a go at building us a swing seat. Looking at this sort of styling:

http://www.wyevale.co.uk/Rowlinson-Dart ... lt,pd.html

but a three sided slightly more complete, sturdy structure like this:

http://www.cedarlakepatiofurniture.com/product/PO72s

To go on grass backed up against a retaining wall, I reckon about 1.8m deep by about 2.4m between the posts, posts just fixed on metposts into the grass on the basis that it should be sturdy and heavy enough already with all the cross bracing.

Main question at the moment is what kind of wood. I was thinking of just doing pressure treated pine, 4x4 posts, 2x4 for cross beams and 2x6s to support the swing.

But I'm wondering if doing it in hardwood might be better for longevity and a reduction in maintenance (as opposed to a painted/stained pine).

What sort of extra cost is it going to be for oak/iroko/red cedar (or an other suggestions?)? i.e. are we talking twice as much? three times? etc.

Also if I was going for a hardwood could I cut the sizing of the wood (say 3x3 posts and 1.5x3 cross), and what sort of impact is that on price? And what do I specify? i.e. 4x4 pressure treated is just rough sawn isn't it? So for this sort of thing would it be kiln dried? rough sawn or PAR etc.?

Thanks for any advice.

I made one about three or four years ago out of iroko for the frame stand and teak for the seat.

The build started HERE

then carried on HERE

thenHERE

And finally shows it finished with frame HERE

Since those pics I have added a sun shade which matches the frame but I've never taken any pics :(

Thanks Lord Nibbo, I remember seeing that a while ago and liking it. It also helps give me some confidence over sizing if you were just 4x1 1/4 on the angled uprights.

Was the wood PAR or just sawn and then sanded down?

Thanks

Back