Building a chunky arbour....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeroseven

Established Member
Reaction score
Advice please. I'm going to build a nice chunky Arbour for the garden, so 150mm sq frame seems a good size, especially as I have 4x 12' posts looking for a useful existance! Obviously these are a rough finish so would like to pass these through a planer thicknesser (in 6 foot lengths) to smooth them down. This will presumably remove (2mm skim?) most of the weather treatment, but we intend to paint them anyway so not unduly worried about that.

Is this a sensible way to go? I cant find planed 150x150 anywhere and would like to make use of what I've got.

Thanks in advance

If you build a larger arbour, and keep all the components, bigger too, you may get away with it.
But 6" x 6" uprights could look a bit "agricultural" on a smaller structure.
You could grow some form of climbing plant life, like honeysuckle, against the uprights and disguise its size.
Regards Rodders

Thanks Blackrodd, the oversized nature of the frame is what appeals to be honest, we want it to look solid as opposed to the more elegant ones you find. My question was really relating to the practicality of planing fence posts and whether the resulting wood would be suitable once planed down by 2mm all around

And yes, it'll be covered in clematis et al.....

Of course, 4" x 4" planed is nearer 3 1/2". I found long ago that for exterior paintwork it's better to leave it rougher. I did facsia boards in a hurry, and thought oh well, a moron in a hurry won't notice - they're 17' in the air. 40 grit and paint. 20yrs later, it's still untouched. It was like painting baize, mind. :D I used 6" x 6" for my verandah, it looked good. I ran a 1/2" core box up them in parallel lines up to the top 6", which lightened the appearance.

Sorry zero7, forgot you're second question.
As it's rustic, as Phil said a bit rougher finish would be more in keeping, and an advantage for a finishing key.
I would keep it dry and sand lightly, with a 40 grit belt sander (outside, dust etc) .
That would give it a good key for stain and paint and not, as you said lose the value of the 2mm wood preserver depth.
A roundover bit on each corner could help "lighten" the impact the size gave, but sounds like the chunky look is in for chez
zero7
HTH Regards Rodders

Back