Building a Bike / Tool Shed - Roofing and Painting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bit late to this thread, which is interesting and informative (especially the pics) - thank you.

A while ago you posted:

Mcluma":1idn7tsd said:
Next up was cutting in the hinges, and I noticed that on these doors the hinges are cut in on an angle inwards. I have never seen that before. Have no idea what the added benefit of doing it that way is!! – beats me

Untitled by Chris, on Flickr

I have a few window hinges cut like that and believe it's done that way to prevent any risk of binding between the stile and frame e.g. misaligned/poorly fitted screws being proud of the frame hinge face clashing with screw heads/accumulated paint on the other leaf of the hinge.

I've seen that approach to hinge fitting taken to the point where all the thickness of the hinge is accommodated on the door, and the other leaf can just be surface mounted on the frame. Not something I'd recommend, as all the weight of the door is then on the hinge screws, but I suppose some builders find it a bit easier to fit that way.

Very smart shed, btw.

AndyT":ua58e8uy said:
I've seen that approach to hinge fitting taken to the point where all the thickness of the hinge is accommodated on the door, and the other leaf can just be surface mounted on the frame. Not something I'd recommend, as all the weight of the door is then on the hinge screws, but I suppose some builders find it a bit easier to fit that way.

Very smart shed, btw.

I have not seen that before though

Back