Builder or plumber.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymar

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a problem with the outlet pipe to our toilet. It is an old house and the pipe is ceramic but I can't get a good joint with modern plastic. My question is should I seek a plumber or a builder to break out the old pipe and fit plastic or would it be better to look for a builder?
I'm sure either could do the job but who would be more likely to do it?
I hope someone can help

When you say you can't get a good joint It sounds like you need a decent jobbing plumber.
If you still have some vitreous "old pipe" to connect to, you may need a plastic to vitreous converter if you get that far. measure both pipes first.
Multi quick have been around for ages and are normally excellent and simple to use, perhaps that should be you're starting point.
Regards Rodders

+1 for proper multi-kwik (Macfit, etc.), but the 'flexible couplings' (otherwise the concertina sort) are the spawn of Satan.

Also watch out for the sort which have moulded pegs in the inside to stop you pushing the toilet spigot too far in. These catch 'all sorts of things' that should be going past - the smoother inside surfaces are best, as long as everything is watertight. Plumbers and builders tend to just shove em together, check for leaks and write out the bill. Householders have to live with them, so I made sure all ours were as smooth as poss inside, to avoide anything getting snagged on the way down.

Try Plumb Centre, as they have a better range than Toolstation. I had one awkward so-and-so here which needed a very specific shape to fit it (couldn't move either the position of the pipe or the toilet bowl).

Also, if it's not sealing there is specific mastic for the job (Toolstation, I think). I needed some on an Italian jobbie* that had a web cast between the rear-outlet spigot and the floor. It would have been fine being cemented into an old-style saltglaze pipe, but the web caused the rubber seal on the plastic adaptor not to seal properly (small but regular drip). The mastic worked a treat and five years on, no problems.

E,

*tried, but just couldn't resist.

Back