Buggered chuck?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TobyB

Established Member
Reaction score
I was using a Patriot chuck I bought almost a year ago at the Harrogate Show (as a backup to my other Nova) doing some spindle work using some fine long-neck jaws. Went to try to release the waste after cutting off the completed work, and the hex just spun with a clicking sensation. It turns both ways endlessly, but the jaws don't move. I unscrewed the jaws, but had too release them with some firm taps with an engineering screwdriver into the chuck-jaw gap. I think (no, know) something is buggered ... feels like a stripped thread or the like?

Is this one of those "familiar problems" where all those in the know will tell me to "undo A,B&C, relocate D&E, and then replace A,B&C", is it one of those cases where "send it back to Sorby and they'll fix it" is the routine, or is it "tough, they don't last, buy another chuck at Harrogate this year ..."

Hmmm!!!

I would certainly start with Sorby!

Much better to discuss what actually happens than what might :)

I'm with Jumps on this one, Sorby have a good service record ?? I think.
Many companys will refuse to help if anything has been tampered with.

CALL SORBY!!!

Definitely the right advice.

I did ... got put through to someone ... who talked through the item and the problem ... his initial reaction was "I'll send DHL to collect it so we can fix it" and then (without any ask or demand from me) this went on to "I'll send you a replacement body and we'll sort out DHL returning the broken one".

SERVICE!!!

Very impressed by this reaction ... well done Sorby! I might well be a "returning customer" ...

they may even get additional customers.....

let's here it through to completion

That's very good service, many (most) suppliers would just tell you to return it and they'll send a replacement some time later, leaving you to foot the bill for return postage and chuckless for a week or so.

I'd be interested to know what actually broke. I can see how one pinion might break but not all four. And if the scroll broke near one pinion then the others would still be engaged.

Lightweeder":2xd3oxo6 said:
Steady on Sons of Sorby, it's less than a year old - I should think they are helping :shock:

Would not be the first Chuck Design to have a change of material spec. in production or a lapse in QA control. Would certainly be interesting to know exactly what failed.

Back