chucks and jaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a new chuck for my lathe, which is a jet mini 1"x8TPI. I currently have a small RP2000 chuck which is great for small stuff, but i want something that will run some pen jaws, and it is handy to have a second chuck in any case. I dont think that the jaws that I have are compatible with any other chucks, so have not considered that. http://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/co ... qjMb_mLSUk

I do not plan to change my lathe, but you never know and I would like something that has a replaceable insert or backplate.

The 2 that appear to be available are the versachuck http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Chucks_ ... chuck.html
or the Record SC4 https://www.stilesandbates.co.uk/produc ... 2063-62159

Both are within a few quid of each other.

There seems to be a reasonable range for the record, which will also take the patriot or nova jaws.
For the versachuck, the options are vast, albeit you need to chose the mounting jaws to suit the accessory jaws.

The record jaws seem to be the cheapest, axminster next and the patriot most of all. is there any significant difference between them, or should I just choose a system and live with it? Most manufacturers seem, in the main part to have very similar offerings- Sorby have more but at a price. I am probably unlikely to need the non standard ones.

If i already had jaws, I can see the advantages of getting a chuck that can use them, but when starting from scratch, i am favouring the record.

If relevant, I want a chuck to hold pen blanks for drilling (pen jaws), holding pepper mill blanks for drilling (2 1/2" round), as well as general holding. I dont plan to buy additional jaws where the RP2000 will do the job, and I have got most of the jaw sets for that.

Any comments or thoughts?

Hi

I have several of the Record Power 4000 chucks, I believe the predecessor of the SC4, (which I think is a clone of the RS Patriot). I also have the 2000 and all the jaws.

When compared to my other chucks, Supernova and Dakota, the RP ones shine on quality.

I'm in the market for another chuck at the moment and will more than likely go for the SC4, (if I can't get another 4000).

One thing you may like to consider is buying a standard hex key 'T' handle, the ball end ones have a limited contact surface and RS Patriot, (which uses the same ball end drivers), sockets have failed in use, (replaced FOC by Sorby I understand).

Regards Mick

Marcros I have the SC3 for my mini lathe, I have no complaints it is a solid well made bit of kit and fine for my needs but the SC4 is that bit bigger and has an indexable backplate which the SC3 does not.

that is what pushes me towards the sc4. It just makes it a bit more future-proof.

I have the sc4 and a rp4000 and the 4000 is definitely a better chuck quality wise. I have no issue with the sc4 thou and it's been no issue with the 12" bowls I've made. Your welcome to look if your over thus way :)

Back