BS400 Bandsaw Upper Guide Question/Concern

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What!? It has. I just found a review saying it's very easy to adjust and get the guides just kissing the blade...

Which begs the question, why does the BS400 have worse ones.

pike":20mgzafz said:
What!? It has. I just found a review saying it's very easy to adjust and get the guides just kissing the blade...

Which begs the question, why does the BS400 have worse ones.

Are Record Power pitching up to Harrogate? If so maybe somebody could ask them. To be fair the Record Power has always been to the D&M show when I have been there and he seems a very sensible chap so I would expect if he was asked it would be a sensible conversation rather than just a dismissal.

Terry.

Tetsuaiga":3w4c2g7p said:
Thanks woodpig. I've asked warco if they sell the upper blade guide unit and the price. Just have to wait for a reply now.
Any response from Warco?

Terry.

Think it will fit Pike. If you click on the small pictures below the main picture (the pics that give you other views of the product) on the far right picture there is a chart of the maximum blade width and the BS400 is on it but I would drop them an email to be sure.

Cheers Bob. I've always thought if they could sell that set for the BS400 they wouldnt have missed a trick in not listing it. Also I don't understand why the thrust bearing is facing the same direction as the guide bearings.

The ones on the startrite (and oddly the cheapest BS250) look better.

st403_uk1j.jpg

Is that the Startrite? Looks like it could fit the BS400. If not directly maybe with an adaptor.

woodpig":1a030zan said:
Is that the Startrite? Looks like it could fit the BS400. If not directly maybe with an adaptor.

I think the pic is of the 403 Startrite yeah. It would be really useful to know if these worked on a BS400. However, I didn't create this thread and although I agree the BS400 guides aren't great, I don't think I'm at the point where I'd spend money on new ones.

I would again suggest that if anyone is going to Harrogate, could they raise this with a Record Power rep and at least ask if the Startrite guides will fit a BS400. Pretty please :D .

Terry.

paulm":bmso5v80 said:
Why wait till the Harrogate show, phone them tomorrow and ask ? :)
Fair point Paul, my thinking was twofold, first, easier to discuss with the machines in front of you and two, the MD may be there and I find him a very sensible person to speak to.

Terry.

Wizard9999":9cun2plh said:
Tetsuaiga":9cun2plh said:
Thanks woodpig. I've asked warco if they sell the upper blade guide unit and the price. Just have to wait for a reply now.
Any response from Warco?

Terry.

I have had one, they wanted to know the part code and a picture. I'm not really sure whats so hard about identifying the upper blade guide on the model but this is what they need first.

I'm not entirely sure how desperate I am to replace the guards, if I could find a easy replacement cheaply enough i'd strongly consider it.

Photo is not a problem, this one has been reduced in size.
IMG_0959 e R.jpg

Part Number
SBS400-203 Upper Guide Support Block
SBS400-262 Upper Blade Guide Support*
SBS400-263 Rear Blade Guide Assembly*
SBS400-264 Rear Blade Guide Assembly

Malcolm

Attachments

• IMG_0959 e R.jpg
    IMG_0959 e R.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 94
Well done scgwhite. You shouldn't need to do this on a £1000 bandsaw but those look easier to use!

Wizard9999":2pz9cqpk said:
paulm":2pz9cqpk said:
Why wait till the Harrogate show, phone them tomorrow and ask ? :)
Fair point Paul, my thinking was twofold, first, easier to discuss with the machines in front of you and two, the MD may be there and I find him a very sensible person to speak to.
I just spoke to the Record Power technical department, they say the Startrite 403 guide assembly won't fit the BS400 but were unable to explain precisely why. This is why I think a conversation at an event like Harrogate where both machines and senior Record Power staff will likely be there is a better answer. It maybe they won't fit, but the modification required to make them fit is minor.

Sadly the Harrogate show is just too long a trek for me.

Terry.

I'm surprised they say it won't fit. I wouldn't be at all surprised if no one has actually tried to fit the Startrite bearings on a BS400, why would they? The actual fitting to both machines looks virtually identical as far as I can see.

Would also be interested to see if the Startrite would fit for my BS350 you are right to be anoyed about spending £1000 on your BS Pike and they do not put good guides in I paid £699 for my 350 and have the same problem and yet the guides on the 250 are proper roller bearing type it is a pity they do not fit our saws.
Thats a good work around scgwhite do you leave your blade gaurd off all the time or do others operate their saws without the gaurd must admit I have been tempted.

To be fair it was clear what sort of guides it comes with when I bought it. I just didn't know enough about bandsaws to have a preference.

The guard is still on mine.

Back