BS400 Bandsaw Upper Guide Question/Concern

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got rid of these sloppy blade side bearing discs and turned up some lignum vitae dowel to fit. Works a treat in resaw and veneer mode.

Richard

Tetsuaiga":wyvajg5r said:
It's just the side ones pike, I'll try and post a picture tomorrow to show. I have actually wondered if maybe they're meant to be the way they are so it might be good to have someone else see, but yes it's only a few mm really

Yeah I find mine are loose and tilt maybe a couple of mm so it's hard to line them up parallel to the blade and just not touching. I'm sure there are better more accurate guide systems around. I'd be interested if there was a upgrade option for the BS400 but I just make sure it's not touching and make do. Happy to compare though as maybe yours are even worse.

Picture as promised.

IMGP4696b_zpskpmboqn9.jpg

IMG_20161024_131618575.jpg

You can just about see (if you click the pic) that the guides are leaning in at the top and are wider and farther from the blade at the bottom (especially the one on the right). All I can do is make sure they are not touching at the top which is the nearest to the blade because of the looseness. I imagine this is what you're talking about Tetsuaiga. It's only a couple of mm but not having owned any other bandsaw, I'd have thought decent guides are more accurate.

Very interesting to be reading all this information, which helps to build a good record of exactly how things work and how they may be improved in some cases. I feel lucky that I have not had too many problems and even though I am aware of better guides being available, in my case I don't really need it. The Stabilizer is different as I use it a lot and being only a top guide, with no lower guide to deal with, it's a lot easier.

All stored for future reference and thanks to so many of you.
Malcolm

I removed the silly side guide discs from my BS350 and replaced them with ebony blocks, works for me. I also replaced the screw that holds the back guide disc, that didn't work to well although the minuscule movement doesn't seem to matter. I then replaced the back guide disc with a disc i cut from a ceramic sink draining board, beefier than the old disc and works better.

I like the look of the axminster guides. Looks like they are for a 350 size (assuming thats similar to the record 350). I wonder if anyone has tried them on a BS400.

pike":3py3cpr5 said:
I like the look of the axminster guides. Looks like they are for a 350 size (assuming thats similar to the record 350). I wonder if anyone has tried them on a BS400.

Well at the start of the thread somebody said the 300 guides were the same as the 400, so would expect 350 to be the same if that is the case.

Reading this thread with interest as I also seem to struggle with the sorts of issues described here. I wonder if a call to Record to explain that there are a number of users experiencing the same issues with their guide system would yield advice and / or support in some way. Maybe Record can advise on what a compatible upgrade may be. If they think there is a market for it they may even consider doing something themselves.

Terry.

Pike, your photo is just what I was getting at. I'm not sure if mine is any more off angle, possibly very slightly.

The axminster guide set looks like its probably for smaller machines, the carter2300 looks good but I think the hole which accepts the rear rod would need enlarging, however theres no space to do that as the block is so small.

Guides do look fairly simple to make, although I imagine one of those milling machines would be helpful. Might be easier buying a carter2300 and trying to modify it..

I decided to have a little look on the Record Power website to see if I can get any clues to a way forward. Does make me chuckle, this from the description of the BS400:
"We believe our guides, similar to those found on industrial machines costing many times more, give even greater support and easier adjustment than ever. When these guides are compared to ball race guides it is clear that they provide far more support. They cover around 3/4” of the blade side rather than the pinpoint contact that ball race guides provide."

OK I think, so these are actually a better are they. But then I looked at the similar capacity but £400 more expensive, so presumably better Startrite 403. The description here says:
"The side guides are industrial ball race bearing guides which offer a good surface area to resist blade twist, having easy and precise adjustment for simple setting."

Hmmmmmmm

I am wondering whether the Startrite guides would fit the BS400.

Terry.

Random Orbital Bob":31lgw7v5 said:
Marketing people I'm afraid...their product is (oddly enough) always the "best". Round 'em up, stick 'em in a field and bomb the .......

Does RP maintain a completely separate marketing team for Startrite?

Terry.

Thanks woodpig. I've asked warco if they sell the upper blade guide unit and the price. Just have to wait for a reply now.

I've just looked at the Record entry level BS250 Bandsaw manual and guess what, it has proper roller bearings top and bottom like the Startrite. :lol:

Latest posts

Back