Brown mallee

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suprasport

Established Member
Reaction score
Brown mallee Burl natural edge bowl
approx 18" wide
First attempt at a burr and nerve wrecking when you know its going to be off centre on the lath but dont really know what the consequences are going to be :eek:
972.JPG

underneath
968.JPG

close up
978.JPG

been making loads of pens and gifty things as well

869.jpg

PS. whats correct burr or burl ?

I may be wrong but I think that burl is the Australian and burr is the English. Whatever they are called they do produce beautiful wood don't they.
I was looking at some in Yandles the other week but £40 is £40 more than I pay for wood. Maybe put it on a Christmas list and hope someone is feeling generous :lol:

Pete

Well finished pieces suprasport, a higher gloss level than I personally prefer on the burl, but whatever you used it does not detract from the beauty of the figuring.

CHJ":1i5pse73 said:
Well finished pieces suprasport, a higher gloss level than I personally prefer on the burl, but whatever you used it does not detract from the beauty of the figuring.
I used friction polish under orders from swmbo she had the day off :cry: what can i tell ya :lol: know what you mean to be honest and it needs a final rub down so might just use some fine wire wool and dull it down a bit :wink:

Yes it is a funny thing high gloss on wooden articles, most times to my eyes it makes them look like plastic or mass produced with gloss spray lacquer.

But I have one or two dark wood items with little visible figuring that really look the part with a burnished melamine lacquer finish.

Perceptions are full of contradictions at times.

everything has a time and a place. I am by no means experienced but on accasion i have made peices that just didnt quite seem right or have that edge with just a sheen and need that deep shine i suppose it depends on the article and the piece of wood used and experience to know were and when, but i do know what you mean about mass produced and plastic looking

Some great pieces there Supra, I like all of it, shape - colour - timber, what more can I say.

Latest posts

Back