Brought the timber in for 2014

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Took three lumps of timber indoors yesterday,
ABWalnut, American Ash and some Lacewood.

1/2 cu.ft in all, 50mm thick boards that was been kiln dried in the past, but warming it up for a Spring start.

In the meantime I am still desperate for some lightweight velvet cloth to line my jewellery boxes finished last year.

Any details or links for suppliers of this cloth appreciated.

do you have a local fabric supplier? Even somebody like dunelm or hobbycraft will probably have something suitable on a roll. Not sure what you have in the way of craft shops/markets etc down there.

I would suggest an online auction site, but I dont want to drag that discussion up again.

I suspect the aximinster material would be too heavy for internal compartments of boxes, sent off a mail to Andrew Crawford.
tried locally but no success.

So hoping that a London or Leicester etc. member might know of material dealers who might handle this type of thing.

After going into the Andrew Crawford web site I remembered I have got his book Decorative Boxes, I see he is using double sided sticky tape, and I have got some pure silk painted pieces so will give that a try.

BTW, looking for that material named Moire as well.

andersonec":1gv7jhmh said:
Do a search on ebay for Velour / Crushed Velvet

Andy

Funny, those are the same search terms I use to find my work clothes...

richard.heaton":4zy3uyvx said:
how about tying a charity shop and getting some fabric from a dodgy old dress.
Sounds a reasonable source, but I don't want to be caught looking through those ladies rails. :)

devonwoody":snazbcwa said:
richard.heaton":snazbcwa said:
how about tying a charity shop and getting some fabric from a dodgy old dress.
Sounds a reasonable source, but I don't want to be caught looking through those ladies rails again. :)

I have two sources for 'velvet cloth', both adhesive backed. My local hardware shop sells a form of Fablon which I mainly use for the base of boxes etc. The other is the dolls house shop, look for 'carpet', this is also self adhesive.

Pleased to say I received a personal email reply from Andrew Crawford the box maker, A.C. intends to have a product available for sale just for the purpose of box lining, a pigskin suede which sounds very promising to me because of its wear ability for hopefully a long lasting piece of furniture.

attached the link

http://www.smartboxmaker.com/

I use a lot of suede this is one of my suppliers
Pig suede is very easy to work with but has hair follicles that show as little white dots lamb or goat suede may be better for a high end super smooth finish

http://www.leathermerchants.com
These people are friendly and produce an excellent catalogue that shows all of their leathers and suedes.

Michael

Back