Brother's Birthday present

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice looking bench!

What joinery did you use for the angle between the horizontal arms and the shorter (45 deg?) angled sections?

Also how did you support the seat in the front uprights - steel rod or something?

It is a practical piece. Nice wide arm rests. My partner likes it, but I don't. I can definitely say i like the joinery though. Not sure what joints you used but I assume that you've built it to last.

I'm not one for a lot of the modern styles that are coming out, but then again this is probably why i'll never be rich from my work. Some of the wealthiest bench joiners seem to be the one's i don't like. So it would seem that you've got what it takes to make it big in the business.

Hope you do well, and will probably see you in some of the magazines i like to read. I wish i could make pieces like that, or have the creativity to come up with something new and well liked pieces.

I'd not worry about people copying your designs, it's the best form of flattery. One day you'll be big enough to enjoy the copy cats knowing that it won't touch your ability to earn the big bucks.

Welcome to the forum Mr EE,

I dunno about differences of approach between USA and the UK. They do have much better timber supplies and more choice.

I have always felt the Americans approach woodwork as we would engineering. To the nearest 'thousandth'. Not absolutely necessary in woodwork and often quite unachievable anyhow!

Welcome home :lol: :lol: :lol:

I went to Bideford too. I remember it well. The hole-in-the-wall there ate my Debit Card!

Cheers
John :)

waterhead37":2pbprii7 said:
Nice looking bench!

What joinery did you use for the angle between the horizontal arms and the shorter (45 deg?) angled sections?

Also how did you support the seat in the front uprights - steel rod or something?

The Arm sections are Dominoed using there exterior dowels in Sipo, I had only just bought the Festool and wanted to check the strength and I must say it's one hell of a strong joint. I did have reservations though so screwed some 100mm screws in as well to be on the safe side. Tirebond III on all joints.

The seat sections are supported using a very slight chamfered angle cut in to the arm sections so they are supported by the arms and also a 100mm threaded bolt runs through into a screw nut. Ones the whole thing was tightened up it is very strong. Did have concerns with it being dismantled and being a nightmare to put back to together but it went well.

crazylilting":1ar94uus said:
It is a practical piece. Nice wide arm rests. My partner likes it, but I don't. I can definitely say i like the joinery though. Not sure what joints you used but I assume that you've built it to last.

I'm not one for a lot of the modern styles that are coming out, but then again this is probably why i'll never be rich from my work. Some of the wealthiest bench joiners seem to be the one's i don't like. So it would seem that you've got what it takes to make it big in the business.

Hope you do well, and will probably see you in some of the magazines i like to read. I wish i could make pieces like that, or have the creativity to come up with something new and well liked pieces.

I'd not worry about people copying your designs, it's the best form of flattery. One day you'll be big enough to enjoy the copy cats knowing that it won't touch your ability to earn the big bucks.

Everyone has different taste's, and I apreciate the comments.
In doing research for the piece I was amazed that everyone was just selling the standard 'Park bench' as a product.
We all sit at home on an evening in large comfy sofas and why not continue this into the garden furniture. On a summers evening I know what I would rather be sitting on, or should that be relaxing on.

Wait for the full Teak range with custom cushions, just need to find £4000 and I'll get those built.

Benchwayze":33kmnc9i said:
Welcome to the forum Mr EE,

I dunno about differences of approach between USA and the UK. They do have much better timber supplies and more choice.

I have always felt the Americans approach woodwork as we would engineering. To the nearest 'thousandth'. Not absolutely necessary in woodwork and often quite unachievable anyhow!

Welcome home :lol: :lol: :lol:

I went to Bideford too. I remember it well. The hole-in-the-wall there ate my Debit Card!

Cheers
John :)

I'm shocked by the state of timber in this country, I recently completed a decking job and was just horrified by the twists and shakes in the EPI timber I used.
I'm suprised that you say that working to the 'Thousandth' of a millimeter is not neccesary after doing the course, I remember spending the day with my Lie Nielson plane on the stone because it was letting a Rizla paper through in one corner.
The thing I learnt on that course is. Get everything right, don't just try and get away with it. Squaring up a piece of timber is the fundamentals of woodwork, you get that right and it all goes together nicely. Try and ingnore a half millimeter and it will come back later on and bite you.

Hi Mr EE,

This 'margin of error' is where I will beg to differ with your good self!

You spent a day fettling your LN, to get it perfect.
That must be the day I spent making four-drawers for a bedroom chest. (As an example)

I am as fussy as the next man about my work, (I like my tools kept sharp), but I know when I need to compromise and how to make allowance for that compromise. No, I don't compromise on preparation. Failing to plan is planning to fail as we all know. On the other hand, a lot of woodwork is knowing how to correct your mistakes, although even I know when it's time to start again!

At my age I can barely see a mm let alone work to the nearest 1000th!
I don't think it's affected my work that much I need to worry.

Not that I can do any at all at the moment, but things are healing and we are getting there.
Regards
John

:D

Nice design. I can see that being the basis for a range.

Drifting to the perfection vs speed topic... I'm in the get it right enough but get it done camp - or at least I was when I was making things for a living. My business partner was a perfectionist and a completer - seeing all the last touches were right. We made a pretty good balanced team. So I'd say the answer was a bit of both :)

Benchwayze":5ie9skmp said:
Hi Mr EE,

This 'margin of error' is where I will beg to differ with your good self!

You spent a day fettling your LN, to get it perfect.
That must be the day I spent making four-drawers for a bedroom chest. (As an example)

I am as fussy as the next man about my work, (I like my tools kept sharp), but I know when I need to compromise and how to make allowance for that compromise. No, I don't compromise on preparation. Failing to plan is planning to fail as we all know. On the other hand, a lot of woodwork is knowing how to correct your mistakes, although even I know when it's time to start again!

At my age I can barely see a mm let alone work to the nearest 1000th!
I don't think it's affected my work that much I need to worry.

Not that I can do any at all at the moment, but things are healing and we are getting there.
Regards
John

:D

I can see what your saying. But I'm the kind of guy who puts up sockets in my workshop and all the screws have to face North-South. Of course I cut corners but when I'm that involved in a piece I don't cut corners. Be it my German family or just my need for perfection then it must be there.
Saying that if the client is an silly person then the Dove tails are machined and there are lots of screws.
I work to both rules but I find it very hard to be happy with a piece if deep down I know that there are not mestakes but something I would'nt have in my own house.

Hi Mr. EE,

Agree entirely. I understand about clients being idiots... Sometimes though it's best to explain to them.

I once tried to explain the difference between machine cut dovetails and hand-worked and I showed some joints to one chap. He pointed out...

'I can see the difference, but they're both good joints. And as they won't be seen much, I'll go for the cheaper.'

Saved me some time, but it made me wonder if he had something there! That's life.

What bothers me most though, is when some nice work goes unappreciated; However, who pays the piper, calls the tune. Which is why they get the 'song' they pay for. At times, I am so glad to be retired! :D

Almost forgot, I like screw-slots to be on the diagonal in the corners!

Regards
John :eek:ccasion5:

The model design for the Pub in Hampstead. 1:5 scale to give the client something to look at. I'm going to mount it all on the MDF board so can carry it in the car and just pop it on the table and start my pitch.
4098346325_0f99bc7166_b.jpg

4099098268_c6b7c06ccc_b.jpg

That looks very nice. The quality of the model is very good indeed, it should certainly wow them at the pitch.

Back