Broomstick - what wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrahamRounce

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi - just an ordinary cheap broom handle, but it seems it's made from a pretty hard wood. You can't put a screw in, even into the end grain, without a good-sized pilot hole.
I'm just wondering what kind of wood it might be. Enc a pic, if it means anything to anybody.
Thank-you as usual!
Graham

PS: Isn't a pic max of 256K a little mean these days?

Attachments

• tmp_31098--732977744.jpg
    tmp_31098--732977744.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 262
It does look a bit like bamboo at the end... I didn't know you could get it compressed! How does that work? Is it resinated to stop it flaking apart? It's very cheap, though..

Hi Graham,
I'd say its ramin, certainly looks similar to that on endgrain.
Common timber for broom handles and other tools handles, dowels etc for years but now endangered so if it's from an old broom I'd say pretty certain but you can still find ramin handles being sold if it's from a new one, although more than likely sold from old stock because of its endangered listing.
Hope this helps.
Andy

Personally I find them interesting and occasionally directly useful. They broaden my repertoire of the woods I can recognise and with identity comes information about behaviour....how it might respond to planing, finishing etc, all very handy to know when faced with using that species in a project. I was particularly interested in the broom handle because 2 years ago I made some welly racks for our local junior school and found the cheapest source of cylindrical stock to be, you guessed it, broom handles. I needed to know what their weather resistance was likely to be since they were going to be outside.

Also, turning has a perennial interest in species for all the reasons stated above ie how might it behave.

Frankly, I'd still be interested purely out of curiosity!

Random Orbital Bob":2fw2lll1 said:
Personally I find them interesting and occasionally directly useful. They broaden my repertoire of the woods I can recognise and with identity comes information about behaviour....how it might respond to planing, finishing etc, all very handy to know when faced with using that species in a project. I was particularly interested in the broom handle because 2 years ago I made some welly racks for our local junior school and found the cheapest source of cylindrical stock to be, you guessed it, broom handles. I needed to know what their weather resistance was likely to be since they were going to be outside.

Also, turning has a perennial interest in species for all the reasons stated above ie how might it behave.

Frankly, I'd still be interested purely out of curiosity!

They're certainly useful to whoever starts them, when you find a cheap/free source
of timber, but don't know what it is; if you don't know what it is,
you can't make best use of it.

I say - keep 'em coming.

BugBear

I make boot and welly stands and use broom handles for the staves and they take a screw well but don't know what wood it is I buy 50 handels for £24 free delivery on flea bay

Latest posts

Back