Bronze vintage plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnd

Reaction score
Can anyone one help, I've just aquired an old bronze plane, its about a size 4 smoother.

Cast into the bronze cap iron is G.T.L. there's no size, no made in (country of origin). It has a Norris or Preston? type depth adjuster.

I bet you got it off ebay for £20 - it's worth 2 1/2pence IMHO. I have no idea who makes them but they can't be tuned worth a damn - DAMHIKT.

JohnD
If you can't get on with it I'll buy it. :)

Chris
They look good on the mantlepiece..... excellent demo of the magpie syndrome :p

Regards
martin

Welcome to the forum, John.

GTL is Guaranteed Tools Limited, address in London but all their tools were sub-contracted out. British Planemakers gives a "either side of 1930" date, but I've just the other day noticed some plugs for them in Woodworker annuals c.1927-28. In BPMs it says dryly "The planes were often of soft alloy and inferior design". :roll: So why are there so many about? 'Cos you could pay for them in installments, that's why. :wink: Sorry, John, but I fear you've been had by a Guaranteed Terrible like so many before you. :(

Cheers, Alf

Martin,
No need to buy - PM me your address and I will send you an even nicer looking one - it rejoices in the name UNA-OID and looks just like the GTL .
Alf please warn me if I am about to give away a uniquely valuable heirloom..

Chris, if it was uniquely valuable I'd be telling you it was radioactive and might be better down here with all the radon. :wink: :lol: UNA-OID is a new one to me, but I doubt it has much value if it's like the GTL.

Martin, you've really got it bad when you'll make an offer for any plane, no matter what! :lol: Can I interest you in a unique bullnose version of a Stanley #10? Well at any rate it can be bullnose, rather than just cracked, in about 10 seconds once I've found the hammer... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

It looks pretty though, you got to admit. If you were the naked gun actor Leslie Nielsen you could stamp your initials on it then put it back on ebay and keep your fingers crossed :wink:

c3_1_b.JPG

Thank you "Lord Nibbo" thats exactly it and no offence intended to anyone, thats what I wanted to know and first chance I get I'm going to restore it just like your example.

Could you send me a pic of the front knob, mine has what appears to be a large diameter iron washer between it and the body? I would be surprised if it was an original fitting.

Una oid england brothers sheffield 1910 brass plane 100 quid at tony murland auctions get before they go upin value

Well, that is good to know as I now have about 8 of these! 6 GTL and 2 UNA OID, been grabbing them when they come up at boot sales over the years and just tucked them away. They have been creeping up at places like David Stanley etc so maybe next one I'll try a couple out and see how they do.
It is interesting that Norris planes of the common or garden A5 variety have taken a real drubbimng in the market lately but the rare stuff still makes it £6000 for a panel plane last week, I heard!
Cheers,
Martin

Back