Broadband!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie Woody

Established Member
Reaction score
I live in rural Devon about 2 miles from the exchange served by copper wire via underground & overground cables.

Just before I went on holidays at the end of August we were getting problems with noise on the phone line, slow broadband, cutting out etc. Sadly this is a common complaint in the area and even when working the connection is only about 2/3.

Whilst on holiday I got chatting to a bloke from Derbyshire who told me he used W32 Broadband. I have googled this but found nothing. He said he pays for 10mb and always gets that speed and is very pleased with it.

Does anybody know what he was talking about and if it is available in Devon?

Opean Reach engineer called yesterday .... he had to replace a length of cable along the lane as the wires had fused together in it.

Whilst Okehampton town is getting fibre optic laid at the moment it seems there are no plans to do it in our area any time soon :cry:

Your limiting factor is the distance from the exchange, unless they rewire you with fibre of you move I don't think it will get better! but keep on complaining the might do something.

I would spent the HS2 money on up grading the broadband network.

Pete

Racers":8etfg4ox said:
Your limiting factor is the distance from the exchange, unless they rewire you with fibre of you move I don't think it will get better! but keep on complaining the might do something.

Pete

Thanks Pete. Do you have any idea what the guy I met on holiday was talking about?

Is your connection speed better after the cable replacment, at 2K from the exchange you shouldn't expect your connection to be the maximum available from your particular exchange, by 2/3 do mean two thirds of the maximum ? That's proabably about right, similar to mine at similar distance.
Another thing that can impact speed is how many other people are 'sharing' your bandwidth at the exchange, you might see a drop in percieved speed when the local kids get home from school for example. You will normally have an option to 'upgrade' the service if this causes a significant problem, for a cost of course.
Drop outs are a different matter, You have to go over a certain number before the ISP will do anything, I think it was a couple a day whn I spoke to my ISP recently, but check with yours. If you still have problems keep phoning them.

Racers":fhmf8l5z said:

Pete

Yes, just when they should be discouraging people from travelling to work, someone (don't mention the eu) decides to waste endless £billions on a railway line. I read somewhere that the internet speed in S. Korea is THIRTY times faster than ours.

After a lot of lobbying by our Parish Council, about a year ago our village got BT Infinity
It took a lot of effort and email requests from the villagers over a couple of years.
Before that I used to get 1 or 2 MBps now it's 70Mbps ( max) though realistically as it still comes down via aluminium wires from the fibre optic box it's more like 35!

Rod

Charlie Woody":1cf7oast said:
I live in rural Devon about 2 miles from the exchange served by copper wire via underground & overground cables.

Just before I went on holidays at the end of August we were getting problems with noise on the phone line, slow broadband, cutting out etc. Sadly this is a common complaint in the area and even when working the connection is only about 2/3.

Whilst on holiday I got chatting to a bloke from Derbyshire who told me he used W32 Broadband. I have googled this but found nothing. He said he pays for 10mb and always gets that speed and is very pleased with it.

Opean Reach engineer called yesterday .... he had to replace a length of cable along the lane as the wires had fused together in it.

Whilst Okehampton town is getting fibre optic laid at the moment it seems there are no plans to do it in our area any time soon :cry:

Charlie.

Being in Devon, are you maybe subject to the same problem as Cornwall, as the population increases for the summer months, so the broadband speed slows down.
At the height of summer my speed was down to .7Meg, its now back up to approx 3.8Meg, that’s as fast as it gets, apparently it will not improve until the local exchange is upgraded ?. :roll:

Take care.

Chris R.

ChrisR":30wsw98n said:
Charlie Woody":30wsw98n said:

Charlie.

Being in Devon, are you maybe subject to the same problem as Cornwall, as the population increases for the summer months, so the broadband speed slows down.
At the height of summer my speed was down to .7Meg, its now back up to approx 3.8Meg, that’s as fast as it gets, apparently it will not improve until the local exchange is upgraded ?. :roll:

Take care.

Chris R.

Chris

Fair point which is similar to another point one of my friends made. It slows down during the school holidays as the children are all using it for films, music etc etc.

However I think that the cable problem was the major contributor.

nev":2aawcu1a said:

Thanks Nev.

Looks as though they are quite strict on usage .... not sure how I would manage that with two teenagers, wife & myself all of whom like to use the broadband quite a lot (it it's working (hammer) )

Do you know anything about this company or did you just stumble across it? Just wondering how reliable they are.

Latest posts

Back