Broad Axe recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HowardM

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am looking for a good quality broad axe.
After watching barnwood builders I am inspired to have a go at
Hewing some logs for a log cabin.
I have seen the Readily available swedish and german makes, but
Are there any made in UK for example.?
You know how it is, you buy something and some smart@ss tells you you should have got one of these.!

Thanks
HowardM

Yup. Whatever else you buy, someone will ask you why you didn't buy a Gransfors :)
No need to stress over it, they make a great axe. One of those purchases where you forget how much you paid for it and are content that you have a top quality tool ...

I haven't done any heavy hewing, but have watched it done, and it does look as though - as with most types of axe these days - the choice is between an old one (British, American, French, Austrian ...) or a Swedish new one. But good old British ones are rare and expensive. Timeless Tools are worth a look.

There is the odd UK smith who can make an axe still. Eg Nic Westermann, Windy Smithy. But they will be expensive hand made in small quantities, so whether they are likely to be as consistently good as a Swedish one, I don't know.

I have a Gransfors felling axe that was about £110 as I recall. Well worth the money. Takes and keeps a good edge, good balance.

Elwel head from a carboot 50p £15 handle from Amazon, job done.

Pete

This site might be of interest to some generally?
There is an Elwell side there but it looks reserved and at £95 quid.... Aiii. :shock:
http://www.timelesstools.co.uk/axes.htm
From 2 minutes googling I've realised there's a huge interest in all things old axe. No surprise really but news to me. Makes me wonder if you are not better buying a new one.
No idea here but sharing link for interest.

Indeed. Good quality old axes are expensive now. Granfors make a good range for most uses, including their version of a side axe, and they are much the same money as old ones. It's easy to say "boot sale" but the time taken slogging around them on what may be a fruitless search could be put to good use.....The Marginal saving is not that much.

I had my eye on a very nice Ward & Payne bearded side axe on the Timless Tools site, but at £195 it was more than it was worth to me - someone else obviouly thought otherwise. Hopefully it went to someone who would make more use of it than me.

Just a follow-up really.
I got a Swedish Gransfors, it arrived yesterday, so, I was straight out last night hewing my log.
Boy, is this axe sharp, not only that, after an hour hewing, the edge was still sharp as a carving knife.

Very pleased, but, also very wary of the thing, a mishap could be traumatic.

Howard

Thanks for letting us know :)
Remember axes bounce off... you're right to be wary.
Two "triggers" to watch out for : (1) Tired : you're much more likely to miss hit something if you're tired, and (2) Complacency : people tend to pay less attention when they're been doing (whatever) for years and think they have it nailed, it counteracts their skill and raises the risks
I don't think you have to worry about (2) for a bit but be careful of (1) :)

Back