British Woodworking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
Have had a trip into town this morning and went into Smiffs to have a look at the new mag. On a personal level it does seem to be better than the usual offerings, with lots of quite interesting stuff. I was pleased to see that David Savage is writing for the mag so I think that it's probably aimed at people interested in making better quality work. However, I don't want to know how to make a pair of saw horses, or the biggest bowl in the world nor how to make solitaire boards to sell at craft fairs....in my view this sort of stuff should be published elsewhere. Whilst I appreciate that mags will never cater for all tastes and interests, I won't be cancelling my sub to F&C as I think that this one has some way to go .....early days yet tho' so I'll see what the next one's like later on - Rob

I agree its better that other offerings and intend to subscribe.

Inevitably some bits ain't gonna rock yer boat.

I've no need for any more saw horses, but was interested in the construction technique used. Then damn me, next day my niece's bloke asked me if I could make him a matching pair of trestles. Took more than 14 minutes though!!

I thought the bowl article was interesting.

Agree with you regards solitaire boards :sick:

Thought Adam's article was great - definitely on my to do list

Hope Nick commissions more writers cos I got fed up with all his articles :lol:

Well I think NIck did an excellent job overall. NO-ONE can create a mag in which every article will fascinate every reader, so variety is vital. What matters is the quality of that variety.

I'm not supporting Nick because he published a lot of my work while he was at GW, and indeed we have had our fights, but Nick is passionate about magazines and wood and wood magazines in particular. He wants to be the best, so I know he will listen to what people say.

He's funding this venture himself, so it's not surprising that whilst he gets going, a lot of it is going to be home grown. So if we want more writers, we should support him by handing over a few bob. Come on, we creative types have to eat, you know! :)

S

Steve Maskery":3cwsrw1d said:
Well I think NIck did an excellent job overall. NO-ONE can create a mag in which every article will fascinate every reader, so variety is vital. What matters is the quality of that variety.

I'm not supporting Nick because he published a lot of my work while he was at GW, and indeed we have had our fights, but Nick is passionate about magazines and wood and wood magazines in particular. He wants to be the best, so I know he will listen to what people say.

He's funding this venture himself, so it's not surprising that whilst he gets going, a lot of it is going to be home grown. So if we want more writers, we should support him by handing over a few bob. Come on, we creative types have to eat, you know! :)

S

Steve - agreed, it is a good mag as I've said and much better I feel than some on the shelf, but it's not for me. I have in fact eposted Nick twice now now offering to do an article(s) for him but have only received back acknowledgement type emails, so I don't think I'll bother asking him again. Again, I appreciate that he's funding this venture himself, but it is a commercial operation and the mag is competing with others on the shelf, so for me, if it don't cut the mustard, he don't get my wedge, easy as that - Rob

Not a bad first edition in my opinion, however, there wasa lot of material written by Nick himself and one would expect the first edition to be the best (lots more time to get good material together).

I won't be subscribing as i don't subscribe to any of them, but will look out for each edition and buy on its merits.

Has anyone actually posted about what was said about the forum in the mag.

senior":84bpkhqk said:

It was an overview of internet forums with a few quotes from Charley and some namechecks for other forum members by way of examples of the nuts and bolts of a forum. ie "Seniors avatar is a puppet." UKW was one of at least 7 forums discussed in the article.

I'm sure Nick Gibbs can sort out copies of the mag for anyone wanting to know the details.

Cheers Mike

What is it about magazines? On one hand I find myself wanting to buy them but on the other I am usually disappointed by the bulk of the content (especially when it starts getting repeated). It's a bit like an addiction - one which I have thankfully more or less given up.

matt":1jux33m9 said:
What is it about magazines? On one hand I find myself wanting to buy them but on the other I am usually disappointed by the bulk of the content (especially when it starts getting repeated). It's a bit like an addiction - one which I have thankfully more or less given up.

I know what you mean. I used to have a subscription to GWW but didn't renew when it expired earlier this year. I used to look forward to its arrival each month, but more recently I used to flick through and barely find anything interesting. When they published two mortice jigs in the space of about 12 months, the second of which was widely available on the internet anyway, it really sealed it for me.

Dave

matt":2u61u1w9 said:
Which is one reason why I prefer to pick up magazines (with the exception of Woodworking) as I see them on the stand.

Now books, to me, have a much greater and lasting value. Especially older books not spoon feeding the reader.

Take care, Mike

mr":7euphkgw said:
senior":7euphkgw said:

...... "Seniors avatar is a puppet." UKW was one of at least 7 forums discussed in the article.........

And I was just about to change my avatar as well....... "Roger Sinden's is a woodpecker" ....... :D

Back