British woodworking - first impressions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Surname or what ?

Established Member
Reaction score
Well it plopped through the letter box today. First impressions are very good.

Certainly a better READ than GWW.

• Adam Leitch's - Blanket Box project
    Chair making
    Setting Planer Knives
    A bit of David Savage.

While I'd never take out a subscription to GWW I'll certainly consider doing so with BW if the next copy is as interesting as this one.

Well done Nick. I hope you can keep it up.

I agree Phil, my first impressions are also very good. It seems to have everything I used to like about Good Woodworking (funnily enough, while Nick was in charge!).

But issue 2 won't be out until the end of September?! :shock:

I must admit that, although I've been a suscriber for about three years, I'm rapidly losing interest in GoodWood. There's the occasional project now and I like to keep up to date with the latest Tool Reviews, but it seems BWW may well be able to cover all that. Not that I condone a letter in their last issue strongly critisising the editor for the new direction. He was far too aggresive.

Good to see some familiar faces too (Adam Leitch, David Savage). Christ, I didn't realise Charley was so young either! Oh well, at least I'm a year older than you! :wink:

Mine actually arrived yesterday, although I did fear it may not arrive for a few weeks due to the horrendous flooding in the Gloucestershire area.

i went wandering today, and found british wood in borders so well done nick for getting it to at least some retail outlets.

scanned it then wandered into wh smith at brent cross, and found i had a copy of the latest issue of FWW specials called "building furniture" and at only a fiver, o took it up, so sorry nick you missed out this time.

i do like what you have done, and thought for a brand new mag it is well produced and of better quality than many of the competitors, but not enough to tip me over the edge on a week when money is a little tight :?
isn't that every week :cry:

the variety looked pretty good, and i just hope you can keep up the standard.

however, the fww issue has a bunch of things which are even more relevant to me today so, sorry.

paul :wink:

I got mine yesterday too, and although I was confident that Nick would do a good job, I have to say for a first issue, it was even better than I thought.

As usual Adams article was very good, and I think that it was a nice touch to follow this up with the piece about the Betty Norburys book "Bespoke" which included 3 shots of blanket boxes from other furniture makers, and finished with a box from Scott Woyka.

The 4m bowl turned by two Aussies was unbelievable and I would love it in the back garden to use as a hot tub.

Well done Nick.

Cheers

Mike

Thank you, all. I really appreciate that. I hope we can make it better and better. It's good to hear what you liked as that helps direct the content of future issues. And thanks for contributions from members of the forum since the last thread!

Cheers

Nick

Got my copy Today, it's looking good, I don't have anything to compare it to, as I have never had a woodworking mag before, the contents of this suit me fine.

Martin

So what did it say about this group then? I think we should be told :shock:

cheers
Jacob

Mr_Grimsdale":3lfler8s said:

cheers
Jacob

I can think of one way to find out for sure :)
It's not in any of the local newsagents near me though. Ah well. WIll have to wait till I make a trip to the smoke.
Cheers Mike

Mr_Grimsdale":1zsbo8zk said:

cheers
Jacob

It said that we were a load of awkward whingeing moaners that don't like change :wink:

A few of the members got a mention, you'll have to dig deep in you're pockets and buy a copy to find out who they were :lol:

Yep, got to admit I agree with the majority on this posting. Great mag Nick I was well impressed withe the article on planer knives and the tests of the SCMS's. nice to see David Savage is still alive and kicking too I have missed his articles recently. Well done Nick and I for one WILL be taking out a subscription. P.S. if you need another writer you kinow where I am. :oops:

Had a look in W H Smiths in Leatherhead yesterday but they didn't have one - will keep looking :wink:

But got a copy of F&C with the second part of Rob's article about his elm cabinet 8) 8)

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Nick,

so far as I can see, your web site does not make it clear how many magazines I would get for my £17.50

You get six issues for £17.50. The magazine is bi-monthly. Sorry that it's not clear; I'll try to sort that out asap. You can buy a single issue if you'd prefer, but it's now the full price! I've learnt my lesson not to offer mickey mouse discounts!!!!!! Just email me.

Cheers

Nick

Nick.
Got my copy today.
Just have to say that it is very very good :D
Lots to keep you interested for all woodworkers.
Looking forward to the next issue.Just a pity it's bi- monthly :(
Well done.
Paul.J.

Thanks, Paul.

Working here at midnight on the next issue I can't imagine doing it monthly, unless perhaps we develop alternate teams who produce 'odd and even' issues. Now that's an intriguing publishing idea!! We would love to publish more frequently, and hopefully we'll be able to do that next year if the support is there.

Thanks

Nick

Don't think your the only one Nick, I'm putting together a quote for a house refurb, besides don't exaggerate it's only 10 to midnight

Back