British Planemakers from 1700 book

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnPW

Established Member
Reaction score
I've finally managed to get a copy for a reasonable price but only the 1st edition.

On the cover it says:

"WL Goodman, British Planemakers from 1700, 1st edition: "

Publisher is G Bell & Sons, copyright year 1968. SBN 7135 0768 3.

There's a "by the same author" bit which mentions "The History of Woodworking Tools, 4th printing, 45s. net".

I think the book was printed before 1970; price in old money and the old SBN number. But why does it say 1st edition? Were there plans to keep on bringing out newer editions?

The second edition, from 1978, has almost the same exact cover. The only difference being the publisher: Arnold & Walker, and "1st edition:" changed to "2nd edition: greatly enlarged". Note the colons after "edition".

Attachments

• British Planemakers from 1700,  1st edition - WL Goodman (1968 G Bell & Sons).JPG
    British Planemakers from 1700, 1st edition - WL Goodman (1968 G Bell & Sons).JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 1,435
  • British Planemakers from 1700,  2nd edition - WL Goodman (1978).JPG
    British Planemakers from 1700, 2nd edition - WL Goodman (1978).JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 1,435
Yes, as you've partly identified there's a 2nd and 3rd edition, of which the 3rd edition is the most comprehensive. The original author's work (Bill Goodman) was added to by M & J Rees in subsequent editions.

I understand Jane Rees is planning a 4th edition - perhaps this year?

As above. The first edition was followed by the second which included extra information from many plane collectors and was more useful.
The third edition is much bigger and includes far more illustrations of makers' marks.
No firm date has been announced for the fourth edition but Jane Rees is well aware of the built up demand for it among plane collectors worldwide and wants to get something available before too long.

But why would the 1st edition have "1st edition:" on the cover?

Is my copy a later printing after the second edition's been publishedin 1978? If it is then it would appear it's a facsimile of the original book complete with pre-decimal money and old SBN number.

JohnPW":3b1s2p2d said:
But why would the 1st edition have "1st edition:" on the cover?

Is my copy a later printing after the second edition's been publishedin 1978? If it is then it would appear it's a facsimile of the original book complete with pre-decimal money and old SBN number.

I think it's just that it was always obvious to Bill Goodman that what he produced in 1968 was only a first stab at what he knew to be a big, complex area of investigation and that later editions would be necessary. So printing "First Edition" on the cover was a sort of pledge that there would be a second edition, which there was.

As far as I know there was no second printing of the first edition, which was the only one published by Bell.

Back