British Planemakers 3rd Edition

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smudger

Established Member
Reaction score
By WL Goodman. Does anyone have access to the above? It's not the one we've all got, it's a lot larger and runs to over £220 on Amazon...

If anyone does, I was given a rather nice little woodie for Christmas, with a tag attached which says that it is the work of Richard Nelson of Helperby nr York, c1750-1770. The reference for this is British Planemakers 3rd Ed, p359. The iron is Sheffield made, last quarter of the 19th Century.

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

Any ideas what seems to be another maker's stamp might say? Seems to end in 'ock' or 'ook'. Probably Cook, of which there are several in BP.

I'm unsure about this. The plane is a bit tidy for 250 years old, it wasn't a fortune and the maker's mark is almost completely obliterated by an owner's stamp - though it is very hard to see, it might well say 'Nelson', but there are several Nelsons in my (now inadequate) edition of Planemakers, which given that it was bought in the south-east might make more sense as they would give it a London provenance, probably in the late 19th Century.

DSC_0042.jpg

Can anyone help with the big 'spensive book, and does anyone have an opinion?

you could always pop to the local library and borrow the book.

ISBN13: 9781879335431
ISBN10: 1879335433 :lol:

Tis the early mark of Nelson , York....(matches example in BPM3 )
Would say there's no doubt about the fact the other stamps are owners with possible repeat stamps on heel :wink:
They can turn up anywhere these days , bought in bulk at auction and then off up and down the country :roll:
Hope this helps
Andy
Ps looks like wedge is probably a replacement (age mark is showing unless you have it loose in pics)

Thanks for that, Andy.
So the 1750-1770 date is kosher?
Clearly the iron is a replacement (A[aron] HILDICK - Sheffield 1881-1960).

It's a nice tool, but the profile is a bit bland.

Smudger":3gi5qo0c said:
Thanks for that, Andy.
So the 1750-1770 date is kosher?
Clearly the iron is a replacement (A[aron] HILDICK - Sheffield 1881-1960).

Could be thicker hence wedge seating high....
The wedge should fit 100% in the hole and if you turn it over the top should be the same thickness...

Think I have a Nelson in the collection somewhere, if I find it will compare with yours :wink: :wink:

I had the wedge slightly loose, as I had backed the iron off when it was sitting on my laptop...

Thanks for the info - this is a whole new slope for me, I have got some 'ornamental' woodies, but I can see I'll have to sharpen them up and use them. At least once!

Smudger":2batvicf said:
By WL Goodman. Does anyone have access to the above? It's not the one we've all got, it's a lot larger and runs to over £220 on Amazon...
Does it? Gosh. :shock:

Smudger":2batvicf said:
I'm unsure about this. The plane is a bit tidy for 250 years old
It's an interesting thing that; I've only seen three moulders of around that age (all in the wild), and all three were in similarly spiffing condition. You kind of come to the conclusion either they were used to death so nothing survived, or put on a shelf and un- or barely used for some reason.

Nice plane, and who'd have thought Ginger Rogers used to do a bit of woodworking...? :)

Cheers, Alf

Alf":26ekshkz said:
Ginger Rogers used to do a bit of woodworking...? :)

Clearly you are not the first lady of woodworking then Al ;)

I have not got the 3rd Edition but the makers mark looks like the Nelson in the 2nd Edition and also in Murlands Guide - so what is the difference as shown in the 3rd Edition which makes it for Nelson of York?

Don't get me wrong I am not trying to undervalue your plane just puzzled as to how these woodies are identified with all these similar names? :?
Also why are there 2 makers marks - did Cooks take the Nelson Plane and add their bit to it?

Incidentally there's a piece on the web that the 4th Edition is being compiled, but no publishing date yet?

Rod

Harbo":cokm8kfk said:
I have not got the 3rd Edition but the makers mark looks like the Nelson in the 2nd Edition and also in Murlands Guide - so what is the difference as shown in the 3rd Edition which makes it for Nelson of York?

Don't get me wrong I am not trying to undervalue your plane just puzzled as to how these woodies are identified with all these similar names? :?
Also why are there 2 makers marks - did Cooks take the Nelson Plane and add their bit to it?

Rod

That's what worries me. To all intents and purposes this looks like a Victorian plane (in my very limited experience). The seller was a charity (they send old tools out to the 3rd world and sell 'collectible' bits to help with costs. Presumably they know their stuff, and this wouldn't have gone for much (we had a £25 limit on pressies and I got a Caramac bar as well!).
In the end it doesn't matter, I'm not a collector and if I can get it working I'll use it, if not it can sit on a shelf and look pretty, which I suspect it has spent at least the last century doing - which is the other answer, Alf, that these moulding planes were of limited use and so didn't see much action, compared to more workaday tools. Hence the popularity of boat anchors.

Back