Bridle Plough Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting one, especially as Record supplied irons for their metal ploughs ground to (I think) 35 degrees, and recommended honing full-face. So 20 degrees does seem low.

I suppose it's a question of 'what works'. If they perform well at 20 degrees without chipping of the edge or rapid loss of sharpness - it must be OK. Though as AndyT said, there may be some differences between joinery softwoods and semi-tropical hardwoods.

Suck it and see, I suppose.

I keep reading that the plough planes only have one bevel...no secondary at all. That's what I do. And of course..you know the back is curved to present spring lock to the wedge.

I once got a set where someone gave up after the first one and the flat was just that...completely flat. Needless to say, it didn't stay put.

There are also those who are convinced that leather actually holds damp and rusts wood. I have no evidence of this either but I don't expect it is a problem in Perth! :mrgreen:

Jimi

hi Derek

<<<<<<<<<

i have had the same roll with my sorby's in for about 3 years now the roll is still fine and holding together, its quite heavy tough leather on mine. i imagine the stitching at the bottom will be the first thing to go, i always try to put the cap on the end so to prevent this.

adidat

Hi, Derek

You normally do a cracking job of tool making but this time you have surpassed your self, what ever you do next will have to be out of this world to be better.

Pete

Back