Breathable membrane in rain? / Strength of manmade slates

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulc

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm about a third of the way through slating my new workshop roof with fibre cement , slate effect slates.

Complete novice at this, started at right bottom corner, the slate method I'm following is double lapping as far as I know, it seems to go up I have to go across at bottom first, and as the only real access to roof is from the front, I'm wondering if anyone knows how strong these slates are to walk over?? , there 60 x 30 cm Tegral Thrutone (bought here in Ireland, not sure if you use them across the water) , on battens at 24.5cm centres.

Also , not sure how long it will take- trimming for verges, side abutment and around roof windows is taking some time- so I'm wondering what will happen if it rains on the breathable membrane in the unslated areas??

Thanks a million, Paul

Can't answer your first question, but with regard to your membrane, it is usually ok unslated for a few weeks. It is designed to be waterproof, but eventually uv light will affect it.

I lost 3 ridge tiles and about 30 slates off my old roof in Feb 2007 when it was mentally windy and it rained fairly solid for 3 days straight until they came to fix it (lots of people around us lost roofs that day) and we didn't see a drop through the membrane.

I had the same fears but luckily the roof had been done well and held fast.

HTH

You shouldn't need to stand on the tiles. You should be able to work from a position on the battens, with the slates on your right.

Mike

Those man-made slates are as tough as old boots. Strong enough to walk on.

Hi Paul, its best if you can avoid walking over the tiles mainly if you do break one its a pain to replace and while your fixing the broken one theres a chance you break another one. If you have no choice then the best place to put your foot is bang in the middle of the tile just a little up from the bottom edge as thats where the tile batten should be to support the tile your standing on.
A roof ladder might help you but without pic's I don't know if it would be of any use, do you have a scaffold level at the eaves?

Thanks for the advice lads, glad the breather membrane is safe enough for the moment.

I'm moving towards a side abutment now, and wondered if anyone can tell me if soakers go above slates - up wall and nailed into battens through slates

or below or between slates. And is flashing then just a long soaker on the top of the slates.

Also what is the minimum width I should get of lead for soakers /flashing.

I'd didn't realise it was quite so pricey, so thats why it gets knicked of roofs!

Thanks again , Paul

Latest posts

Back