Breadboard Ends On A Big Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custard

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the previous comments and advice on edge planing the 88" long boards for an oak table top. The glue-up's now done and I'm pleased with the result, virtually invisible glue lines and the table top has no wind and is very flat, the merest sliver of light from under the straight edge, probably just a few tenths of a mill.

The next challenge is the breadboard ends. I'm going for a fairly orthodox construction, a full width through stub tenon (8mm x 8mm) and five mortice and tenons spread across the width of the table at each end. The only novelty is I'll use a Domino XL for the tenons, with 10mm x 80mm Dominos, the outside dominos being set on the "wide" setting to allow for expansion and contraction of the table top, giving 3mm of play on each side.

My only quandary is how best to make the stub mortice and tenon. As I said before I'm very familiar with the theory and with the practise on smaller pieces of furniture, but I'm not used to working on this scale, and because I'm on my own these are big bits of wood to be manhandling.

It seems to me I've four options for the stub tenons,

1. Cut the stub tenons with a hand held router, working from the top and bottom faces of the table top. The top face is dead flat, and the ends are dead square, so these two reference surfaces would be fine. The problem will be the underside of the table top, where some of the boards taper in thickness by up to 2mm at the ends. This creates "steps" which could jam the router, and the lack of a flat reference surface could throw a spanner in the works.

2. Cut the stub tenons with hand tools. If I use the Veritas Skew Rebate plane I'll have the same problem on the underneath of the table top as with the power router, namely the lack of a dead flat reference surface. Or I could use a Lie Nielsen Skew Block Plane, using the plane's fence the advantage would be that the primary reference surface is then the dead square ends of the table and I'd just work down to a gauged line. Time consuming, but at least it's not all going to go horribly wrong in the twinkling of an eye.

3. Stick the table top upside down on the sliding table (to take advantage of the dead flat top) and run it through the spindle moulder, set up with two tenoning cutters. The sliding table's plenty beefy enough for the task, but there's a lot of set up time, and it'd have to be right first time or the job could be ruined.

4. Again, stick the table top on the spindle moulder sliding table, but use a high speed (16,000 RPM) spindle with a router collet, so in effect use it like a giant router table. Doing it this way would require two passes on each end, and then there's the problem of the underside of the table top having a couple of tapered boards. It'd be less of a problem in that the reference surface in this case is the entire underside of the table top, which when resting on the sliding table would tend to average out, and I could creep up on the finished dimension. But I still couldn't be absolutely sure until I'd actually made a cut.

What would you do?

Hi Custard
My sympathies, that is a big job. I'm also making a table top with BBends but at only 500mm wide it is not on the same scale as yours. FWIW, I plane to cheat as much as I can get away with.
Firstly, are your tenons exposed or blind? If the latter you have a lot of tolerance and I wouldn't bother too much about how you do it. Just cut the darned things, peg it up and forget it.
If you want through, exposed, tenons (as I do), you do have to be a bit more careful, but clamping a double-sided jig across the end should provide enough stability to give you a good tenon.
S

why not just use the domino's and forget the stub tenon? That will be belt and braces? Is it just the aesthetic you want with the stub tenon ie seeing it at the edge? If you just stick to the domino you can reference the fence off the dead flat top side and you're done. Last time I did bread board ends thats what I used and then a few pocket holes to lock it all together while the glue set. This was AWO and it's never moved an inch

Hi,

I have a oak table to make from so worktop off cuts, I going to use breadboard ends as it isn't long enough.
I was going to route a 1/2" slot in each piece and use ply wood tongue glued into the end and dowels in slotted holes.
But if I had access to a Domino XL I would just use that.

Pete

Heres a pic of the underneath of mine. This was also a big surface...not quite 7 foot like yours but its around 5 foot. The bread board ends are domino'd from the top (flat) side and then the pocket holes you see here was just to keep it together while the glue sets. I needed to keep working faster then the glue would set hence I experiemented with pocket holes. I'd never before used them in table edge glue ups. They worked a treat.

This has now been in service for one full year with no splits, cracks etc...its AWO

Attachments

• resize batch1.jpg
    resize batch1.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 171
How about two lengths of 25mm MDF, with some timber sandwiched between them that is the same thickness as the table top. Obviously it needs to be long enough for the table top to slide through the gap and wide enough for you to clamp to the top and pass a router over. Straighten and square it up on a jointer, then get a router with a suitable bearing guided cutter. If the bottom is a bit all over the place pack it flat the best you can as you can easily tweak it with a shoulder plane, I'd say the shoulders are more critical.

I use a similar jig for tenons on stringers where its awkward to get them on a machine.

Job done, thanks for the assistance.

I went with a combination of Steve, Pete's and Bob's suggestions. Keep it simple and sturdy with 12 x 100mm Dominos (the outer Domino mortices on the breadboard ends elongated to allow for movement) but with a simple blind stub tenon run between the Domino locations and filled with a plywood fillet. That way if the timber ever twists at least you'll never see daylight between the table and the breadboard ends. Another thing I tried was to plane quite a deep hollow on the edges of the breadboard ends that are butted against the table, this get's flattened by the clamps and held by the central glued Domino, it means the breadboard end is really tight against the table even without glue.

I used the extender kits for Bessey clamps for the first time, that worked pretty well and I'd recommend them. But I don't want to take on projects of this size again if I'm on my own, moving the top around is at the limits of my strength and it's an accident, or a slipped disc, waiting to happen.

Table Top_1 copy.jpg

Attachments

• Table Top_1 copy.jpg
    Table Top_1 copy.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 119
Given what can be seen from the glue-up, that is going to look tremendous: elegant and not over-complicated either.
Glad you're happy with the outcome and point taken about too-heavy stock too.

I'm really looking forward to seeing a pic of the finished article, too :).

E.

Hi Custard,

That's going to be some table.

A dumb question - I'm still learning. On the breadboard end, is the only domino that is glued both in the table plank and the breadboard end, the one in the centre (and the other dominos and the stub tenon plywood are only glued on one side)?

I can see how that allows for the shrinkage across the planks but intuitively it doesn't seem that the breadboard end has a strong enough fixing - does shrinkage also bind the breadboard end to the plywood tenon to give extra strength?

Thanks, Col

custard":uzfpngen said:

I went with a combination of Steve, Pete's and Bob's suggestions. Keep it simple and sturdy with 12 x 100mm Dominos (the outer Domino mortices on the breadboard ends elongated to allow for movement) but with a simple blind stub tenon run between the Domino locations and filled with a plywood fillet. That way if the timber ever twists at least you'll never see daylight between the table and the breadboard ends. Another thing I tried was to plane quite a deep hollow on the edges of the breadboard ends that are butted against the table, this get's flattened by the clamps and held by the central glued Domino, it means the breadboard end is really tight against the table even without glue.

That is going to be a nice table.

On the breadboard ends, could you just clarify:

domino in the centre is an exact fit, and is glued in place.
Other domino mortices are cut twice (and overlapping), so there is a bit of expansion room allowed for, no glue?
stub tenon I get- no glue again I presume?
Is the breadboard held on only with that centrally glued domino- no pegging etc?

Could you explain the slight hollow, I dont quite get that bit?

Cheers
Mark

Col":3ll9z5p0 said:
Hi Custard,

That's going to be some table.

A dumb question - I'm still learning. On the breadboard end, is the only domino that is glued both in the table plank and the breadboard end, the one in the centre (and the other dominos and the stub tenon plywood are only glued on one side)?

I can see how that allows for the shrinkage across the planks but intuitively it doesn't seem that the breadboard end has a strong enough fixing - does shrinkage also bind the breadboard end to the plywood tenon to give extra strength?

Thanks, Col

Far from being a dumb question it's a very smart question that you've actually figured out exactly! Yes, the central Domino is the only one glued into both the table and the breadboard end. And you're right again, breadboard ends are a juggling act between strength (people will lift the table using the breadboard ends) and allowing for timber movement. I think I've got it right by making these breadboard ends are quite narrow, only 2 1/2" wide, and the Domino is 2" deep into them (and 2" deep into the table). But I really like the look of wide breadboard ends, say 4" wide or more on a table of these dimensions, however I reckon for those you'd need traditional mortice and tenons, with the tenons going almost all the way through the breadboard ends secured with pegs into elongated holes in the tenons to allow for movement. The advantage of Dominos over traditional mortice and tenons (besides speed) is that the Dominos are a really tight fit into the mortices, in reality when you cut mortice and tenons by hand you aim for a "push fit", where as Dominos are a "hammer fit", so that gives a bit of additional strength.

marcros":12the15a said:
custard":12the15a said:

Other domino mortices are cut twice (and overlapping), so there is a bit of expansion room allowed for, no glue?
Is the breadboard held on only with that centrally glued domino- no pegging etc?

Cheers
Mark

Hello Mark, yes you've got it, only the central Domino is glued. As to the slight hollow, I planed the edge of the breadboard end that buts up against the table with quite a pronounced hollow, maybe 2mm in the middle. When it's clamped up this hollow gets squeezed flat, and the central glued Domino subsequently holds it flat, but the spring pressure holds the ends really tight against the table. That's the theory, I'll know the reality when I take the clamps off tomorrow!

custard":9twwpmkp said:
marcros":9twwpmkp said:
custard":9twwpmkp said:

Cheers
Mark

Hello Mark, yes you've got it, only the central Domino is glued. As to the slight hollow, I planed the edge of the breadboard end that buts up against the table with quite a pronounced hollow, maybe 2mm in the middle. When it's clamped up this hollow gets squeezed flat, and the central glued Domino subsequently holds it flat, but the spring pressure holds the ends really tight against the table. That's the theory, I'll know the reality when I take the clamps off tomorrow!

Ah,the spring joint in effect...

I have a table to do. well, i am doing it. not quite as big as yours, but not a million miles off. Iwish I had some beeseys and extenders...

custard":ffqz0n15 said:
Far from being a dumb question it's a very smart question that you've actually figured out exactly! Yes, the central Domino is the only one glued into both the table and the breadboard end. And you're right again, breadboard ends are a juggling act between strength (people will lift the table using the breadboard ends) and allowing for timber movement. I think I've got it right by making these breadboard ends are quite narrow, only 2 1/2" wide, and the Domino is 2" deep into them (and 2" deep into the table). But I really like the look of wide breadboard ends, say 4" wide or more on a table of these dimensions, however I reckon for those you'd need traditional mortice and tenons, with the tenons going almost all the way through the breadboard ends secured with pegs into elongated holes in the tenons to allow for movement. The advantage of Dominos over traditional mortice and tenons (besides speed) is that the Dominos are a really tight fit into the mortices, in reality when you cut mortice and tenons by hand you aim for a "push fit", where as Dominos are a "hammer fit", so that gives a bit of additional strength.

Thanks for explaining - it all makes sense.

btw I live in the North of the New Forest , hopefully not too far away so if you need an extra pair of hands one day just let me know ... Col

Nice one Custard.

Its funny you're using Bessey extenders.....the pic I posted of my oak top with breadboard ends was actually only one of two ideantical tops. They were the top of a dining room sideboard which being over 2.5M long...had two tops side by side with each breadboarded end butted in the middle.

I have the longest besseys you can buy and of course they weren't long enough for that monster. I didnt even know you can get extenders to be honest. I wound up hooking two of the long ones together to improvise a near 3M Bessey. A sort of "Nessy" Bessey you might say (apologies to all you Scots for that appauling pun.) Anyway, it worked well enough.

But I hear you about weighty tops.....they're a pig to manouvre around.

Well done though...glad it worked out.

custard":2d2r04cr said:

I used the extender kits for Bessey clamps for the first time, that worked pretty well and I'd recommend them. But I don't want to take on projects of this size again if I'm on my own, moving the top around is at the limits of my strength and it's an accident, or a slipped disc, waiting to happen.

Do you mean spring joints? I've got a tabletop in the future at some point too and all cheats will help..

rafezetter":1w7fj351 said:
Do you mean spring joints? I've got a tabletop in the future at some point too and all cheats will help..

Yes, you've got it. Best of luck with your table!

Back