Bramcote village

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannykaye

Established Member
Reaction score
I am moving house (and workshop :) to Bramcote village Nottingham, anyone live there or nearby?

I'm moving to Beeston on the 30th . . . .if the village you mean is the one near the golf course, then I'll be on the otherside of the golf course to you.

:)

I'm going to start telling people I'm moving to Bramcote then rather than Beeston, sounds nicer!

there is a difference, mainly in house price, a lot of bramcote is conservation area. beeston is a big place, apart from anything else the uni is pretty much in it

I'm going to the uni to study computer science so that's why I'm there. Nice an close. Did look at living outside of Nottingham for the village life but didn't like the commute times.

I'll have my car as I'm going to be going Retained at the new Highfields station. But its close enough that I might just cycle if the weather is ok.

Lecture at Trent? I looked at going there as they have a great selection of courses for computing.

I read a page of your Phd and understood callipers :)

Chems":2aug1e5x said:

Callipers?

I think the Trent computing courses are excellent and better in several respects than the Nottingham ones, especially the placement options but I am biased.

Chems":tmpg67ba said:
I'm going to the uni...

You're reverting to student life?

Now, you'll never be able to afford that Festool workshop you've been dreaming of!! :D :wink:

Well I have been to both, admittedly 25 years apart, but I had a much better time at NTU than I did as an undergraduate. Greyer hair, a longer belt and considerably more motivation may have had something to do with it!

Buses.
Don't expect a world-class bus service. Trent Barton has a monopoly, buses go every ten minutes (correction, buses are scheduled to go every ten minutes), yet there is no service at all between about 3 and 5pm during term time. The buses are there, there are passengers willing to pay, there are seats empty. But the buses go sailing past sticking up two fingers. Why? There was trouble with louts from the local school 8 years ago so now they just don't pick up anyone. They refuse to discuss it. There is no other public transport. It's the main arterial route into town from the West, including to the main hospital.
They are just bar stewards. They take my money when it suits them and refuse to offer me a service when I need it.
Oh yes. The same bus will pick me up if I walk 3 stops further along.
It's not so much of a problem for me personally, but for my elderly neighbours, it's a different story. Tonight they are going into town. They are driving 200 yards to the bottom of my road to catch the bus, so that there is less to walk when they get back. How can they be expected to walk 3 stops?
Steve, in rant mode. I hate them. (Barton's, not my neighbours).

Chems":zemu5rg9 said:
I'll have my car as I'm going to be going Retained at the new Highfields station. But its close enough that I might just cycle if the weather is ok.

Lecture at Trent? I looked at going there as they have a great selection of courses for computing.

Full time course or part time?

As long as you realise that China\India are churning out IT grads at a phenomenal pace so you really need to aim for a 2:1 or really a 1st.

A placement or 2 would certainly help at the end.

I find it a tad bit odd - you wanting to get into IT, loads of IT bods would love to give it up and do woodwork, etc. :lol:

Dibs

p.s. All the best anyway! Lord just realised along with the usual "Need PC Help" there will be some "Need help with homework" ones too! :lol::lol:

Grass, other side, fence?

Ring any bells. If so can you arrange it into a well known sayse or fraying?

If not then stay on this side of said fence and keep spinning!

Edit : - I must admit that I started on the other side of the fence in that I was an IBM mainframe hardware eng for 18 years and when I screwed up my back by stepping through a hole in a computer room floor and getting my ticket to early retirement. Well that is when my toys and turning came into its own.

Reason = rubbish. Result = bloody good and enjoying my life in the biggest vineyard in the world and still turning and making toys to boot!

Sorry bit of a thread hijack.

Yeah well, been intending to go to uni since I left school, but got distracted and became a firefighter.

I've got my very hard to attain firefighter qualification so I can always pick that up down the line.

I'm not sure what direction I'd like to take my degree in, I'm prepared to be inspired as the course offers so many avenues.

I didn't look at NTU till after I'd got my place, and tbh some of them looked great. But you can't beat a good course at a top uni which is what both places offer and seen as competition was so high I'm glad to have got in.

I shant be using buses, I'll have my car as I need to turnout for my part time firefighting work to the highfields station if Notts fire can get the transfer papers sorted.

Regarding Wood vs IT, both have their merits and I want to be able to choose. I still intend to do some work on the side and have completed a few rapid projects inbetween paying jobs for the new house which I'll post up in due course.

My (soon to be) brother in law has a shop fitting place up there and I'm hoping I can get some bench space there to carry on.

I will have my Festool dream shop as I won't be a poor student due to the fact that I'm eligible for a fair few grants being a mature student having worked plus the fact I'll still be working part time when I'm there, plus my partner is going to Notts Uni to do her PHD and that's all funded. So its all really worked out well.

So the end aim is to have a degree level education coupled with my already gained work experience tagged up with the ability and machinery to take up my woodworking whenever I feel I want to alongside some industry qualifications. I hope that in 3 years time this will leave me in a really comfortable position for the future.

I think that it's great that you're going back to uni. I'd love to, personally (well I'd need to get my GCSE's first!)

But You really don't need them to work in IT. When I was 21 we where taking on Graduates at a much lower pay grade than I was. Whilst they where racking up student debts, I was working my way up the ladder and paying off my mortgage. Sadly health has pineappled up that dream, but I could be a middle manager by now. Not one qualification, in IT or otherwise. So I'd use your time at uni to learn something niche or aim higher than support/back office. I never understand grads coming in at 1st line support grades.

I works in Beeston. :D small world.

I commute from leicestershire every day, 50 mile round trip. when the schools are in term it takes an hour in the car but only 35 minutes on a scooter. :shock:

I did an HND at 18, an industry based postgrad ish in Measurement at 23 a degree at 31 and if you get the chance I recommend it never had so much fun, my subject was maths, then PhD which I just got round to finishing and I am already looking for the next degree :)

Have fun and try not to make the 18 year olds feel too bad

Hi guys,

BE CAREFUL!

You know what they say about intellectuals, that they are like a lighthouse in the desert.............. extremely bright but f**k-all use to anyone :lol: :lol:

Malc :D

Back