Brad point drill bit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve22

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I’m trying to find out what is the easiest way to sharpen a Brad point drill bit and do you need any special equipment t do it
cheers steve 👨🏼‍🦽

I have had mine for some time and never needed to sharpen them, unlike when drilling metal with non brad point bits where they do dull. To sharpen you don't sharpen the point only the cutting edges and give some relief.

Never had to sharpen a Brad point bit, will watch with interest to see what others say.

I have had mine for some time and never needed to sharpen them, unlike when drilling metal with non brad point bits where they do dull. To sharpen you don't sharpen the point only the cutting edges and give some relief.
Ok and sorry I’m still new and thought you would need to sharpen them like other bits. I’m looking at getting FISCH 25 Piece SP Wood Drill Bit Set Brad Point Set they look ok but still learning what is good bits to get and what to leave alone

Thanks much appreciate still learning on what does and what doesn’t need sharpenin. Only thing I’ve seen is if you do then you need to use a aurger file to sharpen them I heard that on a couple of videos 9n YouTube and only sharpening machin I’ve seen do it was called a jooltool you sharpen under the see thru disc looks weird but works from USA

Standard bench grinder with a good square edge to the wheel.
Present the bit so the "brad" point is to the side of the stone and the edge to the face and give a little pressureto get the necessary undercut.
Easier to do than explain and this is how I make my own from standard drill bits.
It should be noted that the edge of the flute needs to be in good order to give a clean entry into the material.
Cheers, Andy

Edited to remove twist step.

Last edited:
I find that grinding spur bits freehand is at least one order of magnitude easier than grinding twist bits freehand. You only need to slowly and gently advance the drill into the wheel in small increments, at a constant angle with no twisting for relief. Hold a new spur bit against the stationary wheel and get the feel of the angle. The angle must not change; the drill must move along it's long axis only.

Last edited:
I find that grinding spur bits freehand is at least one order of magnitude easier than grinding twist bits freehand. You only need to slowly and gently advance the drill into the wheel in small increments, at a constant angle with no twisting for relief. Hold a new spur bit against the stationary wheel and get the feel of the angle. The angle must not change; the drill must move along is long axis only.
Yes, quite right, I had included a twist in my (now edited) post but not required.
Cheers, Andy

Yes, quite right, I had included a twist in my (now edited) post but not required.
Cheers, Andy
Would you know of any b I can get that shows you I’m still a newbie and trying to learn but because of my two strokes and disability I’ve lost my short term memory and can’t remember anything

Cheers, Andy
Sorry forgot to ask what would be a good wheel to get to do this I have a cheap 6” bench grinder but no angle grinder at mo but hoping to get one soon
many thanks steve

Sorry forgot to ask what would be a good wheel to get to do this I have a cheap 6” bench grinder but no angle grinder at mo but hoping to get one soon
many thanks steve
Your 6" grinder with original wheel should be suitable even if the corner of the wheel is not perfectly square.
Cheers, Andy

Thanks guys being new is hard work and thanks for the replies and i very much appreciate your help. Now I need to try and look for thicknesser planer with a spiral cutter that’s not massiv.
thanks again guys you have all been fantastic

Back