Brace Question.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Downwindtracker2

Established Member
Reaction score
A thank you for your replies to a what brace is this. I now found out the name of a German brace I picked up because it was so funky looking, Primas 157A. Amazing.The Brace question. My one 6" brace looks somewhat like the J.A. Chapman brace except it has the chuck has 8 flats instead of the 9 . Any idea who made their brace chucks like that. The dainty little brace is rough looking, with out the wood of the sweep handle and tin over the head. The wood split. No ratchet. No markings either. I don't think it's American, from the photos, their 6" braces just have a shorter sweep.

James Chapman also made braces with 8 flats. I think the only ones with nine flats were the ones with the 239718 reg number on them, were "A" grade. The cheaper B, C, D quality and Woodside branded, ratchet and plain models all had 8 flats also some cylindrical chucks too. I would say here in Australia the cheaper ones are probably more common than the A grade.
John S Fray of the USA also made braces with 8 flats.
Do you find a lot of Chapman's braces in Canada?
Cheers,
Geoff.

I've found the odd one that has a chuck with flats in my rust hunts , but none have had any markings. I checked them but didn't buy any, how many plain 10" hand braces can you store in your workshop ? I enjoy the history of tools as well as their use. So thank you for giving a manufacturer for the dainty little 6". Braces are common at the fleamarket and cheap. I think I might have paid a loonie ($1) for the funky German one. It has jaws half out side the chuck.
I find mostly the cheaper Stanleys and MillerFalls, I've never found a North Brothers 2100, only a Japanese clone made during the occupation .

How are you doing ? We have friends in Perth and they were muttering about the weather.

If I see a brace at the market, clean and absolutely no markings on it I generally leave it there. On the other hand if it looks British,Australian or American, it's covered in gunge or writing faintly visible through the rust I'll grab it. As to how many braces can you store in your workshop? Hundreds if you try hard.
Yes a lot of mutterers down the hill in Perth but generally our weather is similar to that of Queensland, great one day perfect the next.
Any chance of a photo of your funky German brace?
Cheers
Geoff.

Well, my computer skills are lacking, I think it might be an age thing, so I need help posting pictures. But here someone else did a similar one. It's the last one. Borhwinden http://www.holzwerken.de/museum/bohrer.phtml Mine has an enclosed ratchet with a cross button where the usual shift collar is.

What I look for in a brace are fat chucks, they are the ball bearing chucks, enclosed ratchets, and ball bearing heads with wide plates. Rosewood is nice.

Your last winter, , we drove from Perth to Darwin, through the Kimberley. We did the Gibb River Road and Mitchell falls. That was beautiful.

Ray

I struggle with the computer as well Ray, one of my problems is understanding the jargon used.
Here are a couple of photos of the type of chuck I think we're talking about. This brace is a daily user, has no brand has a tiny GERMAN and a depiction of a brace stamped into the frame.
As an added bonus a photo of the brace hanging up in my workshop with its three companions a No 108 Fray brace USA, No 803 hand drill by Stanley England and a two speed breast drill, undecipherable, made in France. Real league of nations.
On your WA road trip you would have gone through the Pilbara region where we lived for 45 years.
Cheers,
Geoff.

Attachments

• German Brace 001.png
    German Brace 001.png
    124.8 KB · Views: 1,019
  • German Brace 002.png
    German Brace 002.png
    144.2 KB · Views: 1,019
  • German Brace 004.png
    German Brace 004.png
    168.8 KB · Views: 1,019
That's the chuck. With just Germany on it, that would put between the wars. Post war would likely have had either West Germany or the zone. I think I saw Primus as the maker. Yours would be 157A

Yes ,we did.

Back