Boxes Made of OSB for House Move

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petey83

Established Member
Reaction score
Thinking of buying a few sheets of 18mm and 11mm OSB to make some boxes for moving my tools in when we move house later this summer. Although most the power tools are in systainers (yep i have a festool problem) I don't really trust cardboard with the weight and don't want them going into the moving lorry as they are. I also have a mitre saw and some other no boxed things that need to be moved safley.

So my thinking is to use glue and 18g narrow crow staples to knock up a dozen boxes to move it all in and the recycle the sheet for garden use or something later. could probably make 10 -12 boxes for about £100 which seems cheaper than any other solution i have seen.

Just be aware of splinters and sharp edges on OSB.
It can be quite rough stuff.

Move the mitre saw separately and use the money for the OSB to buy some boxes from Ikea or another high street plastic box (with lid) supplier. They're plenty strong enough, have handles and are stackable.

They'll also come in useful later when you want to stack up boxes full of old tennis balls, clothes, hats, fridge magnets from far flung places, silk robes that no longer fit you or whatever else in your garage and still be able to see them.

Don't forget that OSB is pretty dense stuff - the 18mm boards are heavy! I'd use the half inch stuff with battens and screws at the edges. I suppose if you're going to the trouble and expense of making them it's worth making them reasonably nice-looking and useful for other things in future. Cheers, W2S

i have looked at plastic boxes but it seems to get expensive really quickly for anything big enough to take a few systainers

Lol, you're putting systainers in boxes? Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were a real man :)

Buk buk buk.

Good day sir.

I said good day!

Does tea stll come in tea chests? Used get them from local grocer to use for all sorts of things. Only 1/4 inch ply, but pretty strong with steel strip reinforced corners. But that was 50 (well, probably 60) years ago.

Interlocking lid crates or Bail arm crates(with lids).
Both can be bought 2nd hand in various sizes(tip. Don't get very big ones, you need to be able to lift them!)
Both types stack full, and nest when empty.
Buy used, resell when no longer required.

Bod

I'm going to ask the removal people what their packing requirements are which I will follow and if they break or damage anything I'll claim off their insurance.

dickm":31ejyu3w said:
Does tea stll come in tea chests? Used get them from local grocer to use for all sorts of things. Only 1/4 inch ply, but pretty strong with steel strip reinforced corners. But that was 50 (well, probably 60) years ago.
Nah, tea comes in tea bags now and are great reused in the bottom of plant pots instead of crocks but not much good for packing expensive tools :lol:

IKEA do some very strong cardboard boxes that hold heavy weights especially if they are reinforced with parcel or duct tape.

Regards Keith

stuartpaul":1ibd8jeq said:
I'm going to ask the removal people what their packing requirements are which I will follow and if they break or damage anything I'll claim off their insurance.
Doesn't work like that.

If the removers aren't packing your effects then they cannot in any way be held responsible for damage. Insurance is generally an optional extra.

If you decide to make crates then please ensure they're not too big or too heavy! Spread the weight around as there's nothing worse than overfilled boxes.

Mark

those plastic crates may be the answer for all the hand tools and odds and ends if its not to far to go get them.

And just to clear up why i am being what seems to be a bit of a tart about packing systainers in boxes - it's more to try and avoid advertising them to the street whereever we end up moving, if i am going to have a garage or outbuilding workshop i would rather avoid everyone potentially seeing the thounds of pounds worth of tools going in there

Petey83":31nxppj9 said:
those plastic crates may be the answer for all the hand tools and odds and ends if its not to far to go get them.

And just to clear up why i am being what seems to be a bit of a tart about packing systainers in boxes - it's more to try and avoid advertising them to the street whereever we end up moving, if i am going to have a garage or outbuilding workshop i would rather avoid everyone potentially seeing the thounds of pounds worth of tools going in there

They wouldn't know what they are :) - wrap them in brown paper if you think you have savvy new neighbours.

People look at my Mafell gear and assume I got it in a closing down sale at Woolies 'cos they've never heard of it.

Black bin liners are your friend there, cheap and cheerful and people will just think you are moving junk around.

Rorschach":1zhg94rw said:
Black bin liners are your friend there, cheap and cheerful and people will just think you are moving junk around.

There you go, even easier.

Back