Box Sash Windows

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Smith

Established Member
Reaction score
My first post... so hello to everybody

My woodworking is a hobby and involves mainly furniture making.
I am in the process of refurbishing the house that my wife and I move to 18 months ago and the time has come to replace the windows.

I plan to build double glazed sliding box sash windows and am looking for some advise.

First, what timber should I use for the windows. Is it normal to build the box and sash out of different timbers (to keep the sash as light as possible)?

I intend to paint the windows but would prefer to use a hard wood that is resistant to rot.

Second, can anyone recommend a book or a source of plans which detail typical box sash window construction.

Thanks

John,

I don't know if you are familiar with Mumford & Wood, who are a top quality UK manufacturer of timber windows and doors, both "conservation" and "contemporary"?

They make the most wonderful sliding sashes, which look absolutely first-class and yet come with double glazing, plastic staff and parting beads and draught seals everywhere.

As an architect, I have specified these in a number of projects and have yet to see a better reproduction sash.

They have full product drawings available on their website http://www.mumfordwood.com and some reasonably useful sections in their catalogue. I think their web-site drawings are only available in Autocad format, but if you ring them and ask for a PDF version (don't tell them that this is so you can copy their stuff!) they may be willing/able to help.

If they can't and you ask me really nicely on a day when I am not rushed off my feet, I could possibly import the Autocad drawings and convert them to PDFs for you. Bearing in mind the Copyright issues involved, this would have to be for your own personal use and interest.

I hope this helps

Mike

Hi,
I replaced my box sash windows and door/frame using The Window Works who use Russian Pine they are not cheap but the quality of workmanship is superb- all custom built to fit your dimensions and not pre-designed. They also encased my art nouveau glass as part of the box frames so I could keep the original design. The door and frame had to be built out of hardwood all to the original design. I have part of a 1908 victoria house so all the doors windows, are none standard size. Anyhow, have a look at page 215 in the revised edition of the Reader's Digest complete DIY manual it will give you a break down drawing of all the components but no dimensions used.

This old house - has some interesting comments http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article ... 81,00.html
Good luck.

John - I don't want to sound negative - and I applaud your intention of keeping timber window frames - but do have a look at the building regs side of things first. I think you'll find that for a new window, there are rules about dimensions to which mean a much chunkier look than you might want. Also, the window trade have done their best to establish a 'closed shop' where only registered installers are allowed.

There's some good general info on the scams of the UPVC merchants at http://www.askjeff.co.uk/ and some threads elsewhere on this site showing modern trade methods.

Andy

No, there is absolutely nothing to stop you making and installing your own windows unless you live in a listed building. Your double glazing supplier will produce compliant units for you........and there is nothing whatsoever to say you have to use chunkier sections than are traditional.

AndyT.......could you do a little digging and try and find out where this rumour has come from?

Mike

I make these things every few weeks, so I know how they work, any questions just get in touch with me.

To install windows these days, you need a FENSA certificate, and the windows also needs to be approved by building regs. If you are installing the windows yourself, without a FENSA certificate, you can get an officer of some sort to come out and check them and them you will get the certification required..... pretty sure thats how it works, anyway......

im never one to "break the law", but really you have to admit that building regs in this case are total rubbish. Im fine with building regs on new builds, but in this case he is taking out an old sash and basically replacing them....why the heck does that new building regs....i know it does, but its shouldn't :)
i mean if he left the old frames there to rot away the build inspector would be fine with that, but as soon at you put new ones in suddenly all these rules and regs become important....if they are so important why were the old rotting ones "fine"
grrr makes my blood boil
Im not saying break the law, you do what you feel is right but if it were me I'd just replace them and not say anything, if anyone asks id jsut say they were like that when i moved in.
personally Ive knocked out walls, and re-wired my entire house without "inspection" why? coz i know what im doing. If i were using some dodgy builder i may get the inspector in, but since i know im doing it right i dont bother..."it was like that when i moved in sir"

ohh look at that rant

Whilst I also get disgruntled about newer building regs, it is worthwile reading them - the specs for newer windows include specific details about anti-shatter windows and approved kite marks which are for specific heights so that if they should shatter for whatever reason individuals get the least damage caused to them. This I approve of.

One sheet of my 60's secondary glazing before I replaced all the sashes fell out hit my shoulder and flipped over me as I was cleaning the windows. The glass splintered and sharded everywhere - it was not a shatter resist glass and I was extremely fortunate that I stayed still and waited until everything had landed - 6ft x 3ft pane - not a cut on me but I was picking up glass shards for weeks and the carpets plants and various other things got shredded - good job nobody else was in the room.

Hi John,
It sounds like you are at the same stage as I was a year ago. I've researching drawing up plans and have made a small test window. I've got the timber (swedish and russian redwood) ready to make the first full size one. I'll be painting, with good design rot should not be a problem.
I've made a few posts on another forum (Hi Mike nice to come across you here as well and thanks for your input). Not sure if its polite to post links to those threads?

I'll intend writing a blog covering the details as I'm making them. Many people seem to be interested and are asking similar questions.

Trada have just published a summary of regs http://www.trada.co.uk/downloads/constr ... 008_V1.pdf. you might have to log in first.

You should get building regs approval if its a DIY job. If it was free I'd be getting it. But the windows I'm planning will be up to spec, safety, energy etc. But I'm loathed to pay to be told that and I'll be moving out of this house in a box.

I'll post a link to my blog when I've started it.

Andy

Hi Andy,

no, I think the correct form is to keep the two forum (fori ??!) seperate. You can, of course, copy and paste relevent text easily between the two.

Mike

Hi Mike,
Posts crossing in the ether. Sorry if I've got that wrong. It looks like the moderator will make a judgement. I'll live and learn.
Andy

Andy,

mine wasn't a reading of the rules.......it was an interpretation of what I have seen others do once or twice. We're probably both right, and I don't think you will see a moderator over this!!

Mike

Mike Garnham":1ut5mfr0 said:
Hi Andy,
You can, of course, copy and paste relevent text easily between the two.

Mike

Strictly speaking, only if it's your own words rather than someone else's.

apj101":vu2t51nr said:
im never one to "break the law", but really you have to admit that building regs in this case are total rubbish. Im fine with building regs on new builds, but in this case he is taking out an old sash and basically replacing them....why the heck does that new building regs....i know it does, but its shouldn't :)
i mean if he left the old frames there to rot away the build inspector would be fine with that, but as soon at you put new ones in suddenly all these rules and regs become important....if they are so important why were the old rotting ones "fine"
grrr makes my blood boil
Im not saying break the law, you do what you feel is right but if it were me I'd just replace them and not say anything, if anyone asks id jsut say they were like that when i moved in.
personally Ive knocked out walls, and re-wired my entire house without "inspection" why? coz i know what im doing. If i were using some dodgy builder i may get the inspector in, but since i know im doing it right i dont bother..."it was like that when i moved in sir"

ohh look at that rant
Hear hear...couldn't put it better myself. If you're not intending to sell in the not too distant future then go down the DIY route. Try and keep the dgu's 4-6-4 and that way you will end up with nice neat glazing bars as opposed to the 4x2 that most modern windows seem to be made of.

EDIT: Also if you search the forum for sash you'll find a lot more info...including some excellent how-to's IIRC by jfc.

I have just logged in for the first time in a while as I work away from home and have seen all the replies to my question, thank you all for your suggestions and idea's. I will be taking a closer look at each one.

The house I have bought originally had sash windows but at some stage most were replaced by that horrible aluminium secondary glazing that was popular back in the 70s or 80s. The house is not listed but is in a conservation area and the local authority is keen for the windows to be replaced with timber frame types and that is a condition on the planing permission they have granted.

What I want to avoid is having to commission somebody else to make and fit them when I am capable of doing that myself, so I will have to clarify exactly what the building regs state.

John

If the originals were only signle glazed then I think you should be able to reason with BC that whatever you're putting in will be better insulation-wise then what was there before. So you should be able to use 4-6-4 K glass possibly argon filled which will get your u-value pretty close as makes no odds.

You may get hassle from them regarding making them 'fireman friendly' but if you want to you can politely tell them to swivel as that reg only applies to new builds.

The only other possible niggle is if trickle vents are a particular 'pet' topic of whichever BC officer you get. There still seems to be some discussion as to whether this rule has been relaxed or not. And IMO pointless for sash windows.

Roger

When I made mine earlier this year, I queried the ghastly trickle vent requirement. The BCO was happy for me to use a traditional air brick instead. I don't even think he checked.

Also he didn't bat an eyelid when I said I wanted to make my own frames. I just told him they would be to current regs and he was happy about that
over the phone.

S

If you're going down the regs route, then I think you might have to go for 4-16-4 K glass. You can get away with less if you have argon filled.
I'm not having glazing bars so I don't need to worry about the thickness showing there.
I've started contructing mine now and will, when I've got time, post progress reports on a Blog.

Back