Bowlturning outrigger

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Gibbs

Established Member
Reaction score
At Westonbirt at the weekend someone asked me if there's a bowlturning outrigger that will fit on a Fox Superlathe. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Nick

I dont think there is unless you make one. Look at the Nova one that attaches to the nova casting by 2 bolts into threaded holes on a vertical surface. You may be able to adjust that some way to fit it is a little expensive though. The other option is to make a floor standing tool rest I have seen one made with a bucket of concrete as the base it was quite effective.

Thanks, Russell. I think that's what he was saying about the expense too.

Nick

Russell":ygta7b6u said:
The other option is to make a floor standing tool rest I have seen one made with a bucket of concrete as the base it was quite effective.

I think Wadkin used to made a huge cast iron one, known as an elephants foot.

Russell":3k80a0xq said:
The other option is to make a floor standing tool rest I have seen one made with a bucket of concrete as the base it was quite effective.

Hello all, I am new to this forum. Have a couple of lathes a Poolewood 28.40, undergoing surgery, and a Jet 1014 Minilathe.

With respect to an independent tool rest I saw a website picture of one made from a lorry wheel to which was bolted or welded a scaffold pole post to carry the rest. The wheel was probably quite heavy to start with but I think it had concrete added as filling to the centre. It looked very stable.

Hope this post with quote works ok

Graham

I made an outrigger tool rest support for my Axminster M900. It's very effective and I'll try taking pictures tomorrow (too late tonight as I'm recovering from a busy craft fair).
If it turns out (pun unintentional) to be the type of thing you are after, I'll post dimensions and details of how to make.

Just another thought. If anyone wants to see the outrigger in action, I live in S.Warks and would be pleased to show the thing and could help with any welding should this prove necessary.
Sorry but I've got very limited physical capabilities due to severe heart problems - so I can't make you one !

Latest posts

Back