Bowl time

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richburrow

Established Member
Reaction score
Fresh off the lathe. Cedar fruit bowl, finished with food safe oil.

795_427257867327573_961449857_n.jpg

Thanks guys. It is a joy to turn, you can really fly through it fast and then take a few gentle cuts to aviod the rip out.
As well as that the shed smells amazing for days :D
I have 3 more of these to turn so the smell should hang around for ages

I was wondering if cedar was any good for turning, obviously it is. =D>
Spookily my mrs came home the other day with a cedar blank which I've not turned before, so i roughed it out and yes what a smell :)

I like your bowl and I can smell it from here!! :lol: :lol:

I love turning cedar, the aroma seems to hang around for days (well it does in my workshop where it takes me for ever to get round to sweeping up the shavings!! :oops: :oops:

Yeah the smell hangs around for ages!!!!! I am on with the next one now so it will go on for ages. I have four to do. Two like this one and two shallow. I will keep the pics coming. It is great to be busy in the shed and on the lathe for a change!!!!

Clean simple lines Richard, did it have any significant grain density problems to contend with? hopefully the aroma will not taint any fruit.
I did some several years ago when I was new to turning out of long felled C of L wood and although that still held some aroma it faded fast once rain wet had dried out.

Rich , that is a beauty I had loads of Cedar at one time but never turned anything from it as I deemed it was too small .6" / 8" . In the time I was turning everything HAD to be big if it wasn't big it wasn't right.
{ May have something to do with my mouth }

Ilook back now and see lovely pieces like your bowl and think ,What a plonker I was . Smashing bowl and a great piece of turning Rich , Thanks for showing.

Just as good as the first one, IMO.

Try one with the rim sloping down into the bowl (slightly, say 10 degrees or so). Can give the bowl smoother looking lines, not that there is anything wrong with the two you have displayed.

Back