Bowl Shape/finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven

Established Member
Reaction score
I started a bit of turning on a blank with no fixed shape in mind now SHMBO seen the out side shape that was forming and now wants it for in doors.
IMAGE_117.jpg

I am looking for 2 bits of advice if you will.

How will I shape the inside, follow the outside edge or a simple curve. How should I finish it I have a limited number of finished at the moment but I am willing to get what I need.

She has asked me to make some fruit for it (another new task to try :D ), but I am not sure if it will stay with that in it.

Attachments

• IMAGE_117.jpg
    IMAGE_117.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 648
Hi

Is the bowl as shown fixed to a face plate ?

If it is you need to put a chucking recess or spigot in the bottom before removing the face plate , also advisable to finish the bottom completely , sand through grits to about 600 then sanding sealer , de nib with webrax or wire wool 0000 if its not Oak

Then a couple of coats of wax of your choice

Turning the inside should be fairly straightforward you can either follow the outside dual curve or do a single curve ,
checking with either fingers or a caliper to make sure you don't go too thin and end up with a disaster

I started with a screw chuck and I have put in the recess for the chuck. at the moment I have finished it to 320 but I am not to happy with this sofar, I will give another coat of sanding sealer and refinish to 600+.

The wood is goncalo alves, I have to hand some basic oils and waxes including Briwax and Carnauba Wax at the moment.

Hi Steven,

My preference would be for a single curve inside. Seems to make more sense in use, no real reason apart from that.

How are you going to make a fortune if 'er indoors keeps nickin' stuff?

The single curve sounds good, I was tempted to experiment but it's getting to late in the day.

As she it my main sales rep, I think this will be a be classed as a perk.

Gordon, as you seem to be the king of weed pots what finish do you put on them. The only one I have done has wax but this seems to have blistered.

I am lost when it comes to finishes, any good books I can put on my birthday list?

Steven":361oacko said:
The single curve sounds good, I was tempted to experiment but it's getting to late in the day.

As she it my main sales rep, I think this will be a be classed as a perk.

Gordon, as you seem to be the king of weed pots what finish do you put on them. The only one I have done has wax but this seems to have blistered.

I am lost when it comes to finishes, any good books I can put on my birthday list?
Hi steven,

There is no definitive answer to that!! As they tend to be a way to make a quick sale rather than a 'work of art' I use whatever is handy!! My two main finishes apart from wax are walnut oil and acid catalyst lacquer. The lacquer is horrifyingly expensive (Axminster do Fiddes) but if you are in a hurry and want a high gloss finish it can't be beaten. I use it for guitars. I can get five or six coats on a day and cut it back the next and polish it.

At the mo I seem to be putting just a couple of sealing coats of whatever I have handy and then use wet and dry with walnut oil as the lubricant. It flattens it all off and gives a nice sheen that can be polished up (just before sale :twisted: ) with an oily rag.

I don't know of any suitable books I'm afraid. I learnt my finishing techniques at college or tried stuff!

Latest posts

Back