Bowl Reversing chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemaker

Established Member
Reaction score
HI there I have Record RP3000X chuck and I'm thinking of getting a bowl reversing chuck . I have been looking at a certain on line site all the chucks there seam to be four jaws my chuck is three, my question is does a bowl reversing attachment come as a complete chuck or Jaws. If it comes as jaws has any one seen a three jaw one. I have been on the Record site it only shows there latest chucks, any help would appreciated.
Many thanks Tom
P.S I find this site very helpful and i'm leaning a lot from all the comments posted :D

I believe the Record RP3000X chuck is a collet chuck and as such totally unsuitable for the fitting of Cole Jaws.

Cole Jaws are just another accessory jaw set.
Several brands of Four Jaw Scroll chucks have Cole Jaw accessories, but be aware that The Carrier Location fittings are not universal across brands and just like any other accessory jaws the correct fixing details are essential so it is important that any Cole Jaws purchased are suitable for and match the chuck carriers.

Cole jaws come in more than one diameter dependant upon brand, make sure that you have swing clearance over the lathe bed to achieve maximum flexibility of use, not all tasks can be achieved with headstock swivelled for clearance, assuming you have that facility of course.

An accurately made longworth chuck is OK for alignment and use with tailstock support but my experience has been that they are poor at achieving a firm hold suitable for free machining without the support.

(Difficult to apply rotational clamping of the piece, two hands needed, and clamping of the discs in closed state.

If you have a collet chuck at present, I would suggest that your first step should be to get yourself a 4 jaw scroll chuck if you want to pursue bowl turning. You can then add jaws for all sorts of different purposes according to your interest and budget over a period of time.
You can improvise various means of holding a bowl in reverse to finish the foot, using little more than bits of scrap wood. A google search should give you plenty of examples, one of which will be the Longworth chuck. I found this to be a bit of a dead loss and not worth the effort in construction, for the reasons Chas mentioned.

Ian

Latest posts

Back