Bow compasses to take pencils?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuckinthemud

Established Member
Reaction score
I find “normal” drawing compasses worse than useless and I need to teach geometry to a group of 15year olds with strong personalities 😃. Anyone know where I can get bow compasses that take a pencil? They all seem to take graphite sticks but I find pencils more convenient and my boys will trash the graphite in seconds while finding interesting uses for all the add-on limbs. I need simple, robust and cheap (especially cheap, the management will not authorise 6 sets of not-cheap). Thanks in advance, Andrew

No there doesn’t seem to be such a thing, your only recourse is to thrash the little beggars till they stop wrecking the equipment! If only.

In most respects that is exactly what I need, Thankyou. Being picky, I would need something less “pointy” ideally

Last edited:
In most respects that is exactly what I need, but giving my boys lethal weapons might raise a few eyebrows with their support staff….

In that case,....I'm not really sure what it is that you are actually after..?
A compass is always going to have some sharp pointy bits on it.....Can you elaborate a bit please?

Sorry, you posted while I was mid-edit. So, I work in a small school for pupils with challenging behaviours. My boys are great, and in their GCSE year so they need to learn basic geometry. Adult pupil ratio is 1:2. My boys deserve decent equipment and the school stock is worn out. As this is school stock, other classes might want to use the equipment at some point, so H+S is a consideration. I will need short-point or safety compasses - the dividers are more than I need, and boys of any age will always want to explore what tips like that are capable of - did no-one here engrave their desks, or play split-the-kipper? The boys in my school will find lots of exciting uses for long slender sharp steel implements....

Last edited:
Been there, done that, very satisfying work! I took a slightly different route and used the 'Circle Scribe' disk compass - basically a plastic disc with a metal central peg and a series of holes at different radii which you put your pencil point into and swung the disc. It worked well in a different school where I taught physically handicapped kids. It could also be used with a craft knife to cut circles and arcs. The original Circle Scribe doesn't seem to be still available, but there are other versions out there. Might something after that style suit your needs?

Les

Quite possibly. Will check it out. Need to be able to draw circles and arcs of specific radii to construct triangles, hexagons, etc- basic maths and tec drawing stuff

I like that one Chubber, VERY short point. You can't stab others 'much' with that point. Nice idea about ownership, and it looks like there are 6 sets left. Just the job, but who am I to say?

Mmmmm - yes, there is a nice short point on the compass. but don't forget that a pencil is classed as a lethal weapon ! (Def: 'Any object that can cause death') ...

Sorry, you posted while I was mid-edit. So, I work in a small school for pupils with challenging behaviours. My boys are great, and in their GCSE year so they need to learn basic geometry. Adult pupil ratio is 1:2. My boys deserve decent equipment and the school stock is worn out. As this is school stock, other classes might want to use the equipment at some point, so H+S is a consideration. I will need short-point or safety compasses - the dividers are more than I need, and boys of any age will always want to explore what tips like that are capable of - did no-one here engrave their desks, or play split-the-kipper? The boys in my school will find lots of exciting uses for long slender sharp steel implements....
"Split the kipper" ? (as my education clearly stopped at the engraving desks stage, can you enlighten me as to this ritual ?) ...

Split the kipper. A game where 2 players would throw their pen-knives , or equivalent, (dividers were a popular option) toward the toe of their opponent. Blade had to stick in the ground or the throw didn’t score. Nearest without hitting the shoe won the point. If you moved your foot you forfeited the game. Great fun.

Last edited:
Back