Bought some green oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcluma

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently asked here if people could refer me to somebody who could supply me with 200mm by 200mm posts. I did a bit of internet research and came up with a sawmill which is just around the corner from me.

Honeysuckle Bottom Sawmill in Horsley

http://www.honeysucklebottom.co.uk

This is a very large sawmill, and they had the stuff all in stock, I went for some green oak with 4 braces

The stuff you can see are 200 by 200mm by 2.4m green oak posts and the 4 braces

DSC_2301 by mcluma, on Flickr

DSC_2302 by mcluma, on Flickr

DSC_2303 by mcluma, on Flickr

One thing i can say, oak is really heavy, i’m not looking forward of moving that stuff arround

Mcluma":11v313fz said:
One thing i can say, oak is really heavy, i’m not looking forward of moving that stuff around.

We regularly deliver 8" x 8", 12" x 12" and even larger sections to customers who then realise that they can't lift it off the lorry. A while back I helped cross cut 50 8' 6" x 6" posts that was hard enough as they all needed doing in a rush.

That was me that suggested HoneySuckleBottom. Glad you are happy with their service. I've always found them accomodating, reasonably priced and helpful. I had some 8x8 oak posts from them. They had just had their delivery truck nicked so delivered them on a hired lorry. Luckily it was a tipper so they just "tipped" them on the drive. That makes a hell of a shudder when a dozed of them hit the drive :?

Mark

Interesting that you would pick Oak for outside work .

over here , it wouldn't last 2 yrs, and is NOT used for
outdoor use , even pt has a short life in this climate

Is it too late to tell you that you should have fitted the curved gallows brackets as the structure went up, you won't get them in now with a proper joint :cry: .

Jason

green oak building last for years and years. Yeah you wont get the braces it with a m+t now with dowels and if you screw them in place the joints will open up massively.

Might just be the picture but those birdsmouths look a little small.

Overall scheme looks good

wysong":2q8u3zjm said:
Interesting that you would pick Oak for outside work .

over here , it wouldn't last 2 yrs, and is NOT used for
outdoor use , even pt has a short life in this climate

I have a feeling our European Oak is a different beast to it's North American cousin, we have green oak(probably not that green anymore) buildings here that are over 500yrs old. But your climate is a lot different to ours, so that might be why. Richard Jones, I believe, is writing a book on timber at present, he might be able to shed some light??

I'm not sure yet about the braches (actually the wife is still undecided- has it would be the only curved piece on the house) if I decide later on to putting them in, there is plenty of space on the top, the headers is currently only two joist , if i decide to put the braches in i will have to make the header 4 joists thick, which will make it easy to have the mortise cut on the top, so first fit the brace then the exta headers

the birds mouth has plenty of depth for the project it has a depth of 2 inch,

the structure is more then rock solid

Thanks for the comments

they just dont look 2" on he picture. I normally make the seat cut 4" as long as it doesnt go through more than 1/3 rafter depth some time go past that if not much over hang.

Deansocial":5w027i2r said:
green oak is class 2 durable with an expected life to exceed 50years

I read somewhere that when they were repairing York Minster after the fire, some authority insisted they use oak for the roof timbers as it was the only relevant material that was known to last more than 300 years :D

dickm":tdgucc3a said:
Deansocial":tdgucc3a said:
green oak is class 2 durable with an expected life to exceed 50years

I read somewhere that when they were repairing York Minster after the fire, some authority insisted they use oak for the roof timbers as it was the only relevant material that was known to last more than 300 years :D

yeah 50 years is outside in contact with the ground

Back