Some shelves. Oak and mdf.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bm101

Lean into the Curve
Reaction score
Don't normally post my stuff. It's beginner stuff generally but I quite liked how this diy turned out. Years ago my Dad gave me some oak that he'd had for years. Then just as the lads doing the loft were about to board up this cavity the Mrs walked past and said 'you could leave that and Chris could put some bookshelves in there'.
Cheers for that. :|
Mdf routed out 18mm rebates, oak not quite wide enough, used iron on tape to mask the edges, lots of little issues but turned out ok really all in all.
They are a bit narrow but can fit average novel size on. Not too shabby for the price of a sheet of mdf and various stuff I already had. Most pleasant project surprises: turns out the oak was a smidgen over 18mm. What's the chances. Also. Liddl plug cutters are the bomb.
Mrs is pleased so that's good.
More lessons learned. On reflection I. Going to ad a little oak dowel to the ends to act as bookends. Or maybe some steel rod if I have some spare.

P7KVUG7.jpg

sHcz8wB.jpg

C8DEHps.jpg

xRKw4UQ.jpg

Apologies for the photo quality.
Cheers
Chris

Thanks guys.
The uprights were necessary because the oak isn't as wide as if I'd have bought it, so its only recessed by about 5mm. With the 18mm mdf ends and two uprights it should be fine not to sag. I tested it mathematically using the ancient but well proven scientific method of 'blind guesswork'
They are a bit too well spaced vertically for the books that will fit on them but hey , 2 planks I had made 4 shelves with about 4" left over to cut the plugs from.
I meant to fit a little strip of light coloured wood into the front top of each shelf but randomly, completely forgot about doing so till I'd finished.
The little animals are my kids idea. Cast iron jobbies hung on pins. :roll:

Latest posts

Back