Bought a low angle block plane, arrived today.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Bray

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a block plane in the Axminster Sale, this one: http://www.axminster.co.uk/rider-wide-b ... lock-plane

I paid £28 for mine (price reduces each day until they're sold out so its cheaper again now), I thought a plane for less than the price of a round of drinks at Christmas isn't such a loss if it turns out to be rubbish.

After spending about 25 minutes cleaning all the gunk off with meths I was prepared to start fettling:

Well, to say I am presently surprised would be an understatement. First off, it's slightly bigger than a standard block plane, it is also a fair bit heavier than any of the other block planes (4) I own. The quality of the individual parts is very high although the finishing on the Brassy Twisty Cappy Thingy (hasn't got a lever so it can't be a lever cap) could have been a little nicer in the centre, although the actual bit you touch/hold has been nicely finished.

The casting looks very good and I was amazed when I started checking it for squareness and flatness. The sole was perfectly flat in all directions and I could not get a feeler gauge between my straight edge and the sole. After calibrating my digital angle gauge on the straight edge I then checked the sides against the sole. On one side the angles measured at six different places were between 89.9° and 89.7° whilst on the other side the six measurements were between 90.2° and 90.4°, this I found quite astonishing.

I then sharpened the blade which although reasonably sharp and bevelled at 25° I flattened the back slightly and then went through the grits from 600 - 1000 - 1200 - 3000 - 8000 at 30° I then use the DC ruler trick to clean off the burr on the flat side.

The results were fantastic, I cut some beautiful shavings from a length of Oak, next came some hard softwood and finally my old fallback (coz I've got lots) Iroko. It handled all very nicely. Didn't try it with end grain as I was doing all the planing holding the wood in one hand and the plane in the other, I would need to put the wood in a vice to get a good finish on end grain and it's too cold to go out to the garage now (wimp I know).

So, great 'bigger than your average' block plane for not much money and does a fantastic job almost straight out of the box.

I'm not sure where these planes originate but if I could guess I suspect they are not made too far away from quangsheng or other western copies as they look very like some of the Lie Nielsen block planes.

I will say this, if they had a rebate version I would have bought that too.

these are what the college i go to use, and great value for what you payed, the rrp is a bit much for the brand.
TT

I have a similar plane, bought from Rutlands a few years ago. It's extremely good, especially considering the price.
I do find it a bit on the heavy side and prefer my old stanley because of that factor. The quangsheng (which I think it is) is the better made and more accurate plane though. Good blade too.

MIGNAL":159nwhgu said:
I have a similar plane, bought from Rutlands a few years ago. It's extremely good, especially considering the price.
I do find it a bit on the heavy side and prefer my old stanley because of that factor. The quangsheng (which I think it is) is the better made and more accurate plane though. Good blade too.

i don't believe QS and this block plane are associated! in regards to QS there is two different qualities of the same tool..

TT

Mine doesn't look quite the same as the Axminster Rider. It does look remarkably similar to the Quangsheng block plane though. It wouldn't surprise at all if they were made in the same factory.
I'm not at all worried about it being the lower quality type though. Apart from lowering the weight I can't think of one single aspect that would improve it's performance.

I also don't really care where it was made, just how it performs and for me it seems to do quite well, taking into account that a Quangsheng is about twice the price and a Lie Nielsen is over five times the price I am more than happy with my little purchase.

Thanks for the heads up ed got one just before they sold out
First impressions not bad for 26quid. Not sure if full price is good value though. Took me less than a minute to clean off the gunk with a rag on mine

It will go in what I grandly term my site kit

Back