Bought a Combi - need a little advice - This is a Long Story

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyW

Established Member
Reaction score
I am not absolutely sure what has happened to me since joining this forum. Very much a Normite, always thought this is the only way to go – I only came here originally looking for information on a SCMS (still not bought one – quality issues vs. price). I also had the idea of buying a jig for dovetails.

During a visit to the Hand Tool section asked a question relating to purchase of new chisels on a limited budget. Loads of replies helped me spend twice my budget – ByronBlack the ringleader here :D – did end up with a very nice set of 2 Cherries though :D :D

Next I was fortunate enough :shock: to be loaned a couple of DVD’s from a friend in the USA featuring Frank Klaus using hand tools and another Mario Rodrequez (?) on using hand planes. I was amazed at both videos – the speed and accuracy of Mr Klaus and the demo of using hand planes for cutting dado and tongue and groove (looked to be quicker than setting up router for one off jobs). Since then I have purchased Rob Cosmans dovetail DVD. The penny was now beginning to drop with me – with some (a lot!) practice and the right hand tools I could possibly do the jobs that I thought needed to be undertaken by machine. :idea: Maybe slower, but certainly safer/quieter and without the need for so many jigs to be made!

Then I started to look at planes and visited Alf’s web site, found the articles on Combi Planes, read them and watched the demos. Alf’s knowledge and enthusiasm for the subject had the effect of making me want to buy one. :eek: :)

On Good Friday after a rather good meal and copious quantities of a nice Rioja I had a look on Ebay, mainly for a jointer plane, and spotted an old Record 050. Just a short time till end of auction, fuelled by the wine I made a bid and to my surprise won by a whisker (well 40p to be exact!). I knew that this was quite an old plane and my intention was to clean it up as best I could to look like a new plane. On Easter Sunday I arranged to collect the item from the seller. My meeting with the seller a gentleman (in the truest sense) in his 70’s changed my view. It appears that the plane had been in the possession of his father for many years, after his death his mother had kept it in store. The plane passed to the current owner on his mother’s death and he having no interest in woodwork had just left it in store – finally deciding to get rid of some old things to feed his interest in golf. Driving back home with my new purchase I had time to reflect on my conversation with this “gent” – my view on cleaning it up to look like new (or as near as possible) changed. I did not confirm this with the seller but I would like to believe that this plane was owned by a keen craftsman – in my opinion although obviously used and showing signs of aging it appears to have been well cared for. I know think that to try and clean it up to near to new state would be somehow disrespectful to the original owner – does this make sense to anyone?

Finally I get to the main point of this post !! The plane unfortunately has 2 parts missing – the seller was only aware of 1 missing blade for cutting tongues, but I also found that one of the spurs and holding screw was missing. Does anyone know of a source for these missing parts or have them and be prepared to sell them. Thought a picture might help to show what I have got and the part referred to.

The Kit

131fs594312.jpg

The spur & screw missing from other side

131fs594570.jpg

The missing blade

Last thing, I have once again visited Ebay and got a Stanley No 7 (thanks to all that offered advice). I am sure that I will have some questions to ask about this when I receive it but you will be relieved to know that as far as I am aware its history is unknown.

I am aware this has turned into a rather long post – if I have “gone on” too much Moderators please advise.

Cheers
Tony :shock:

Tony,

Welcome to The Slope TM, is very long and I doubt you will ever reach the end, enjoy the trip.

I cannot help with your missing parts, but keep an eye on EBay as cutters do appear without a plane from time to time, just make sure they are the correct ones for your plane.

Hi Tony,

Glad to hear that you are becoming a hand-tool convert :D The plane looks nice. I wouldn't worry too much about the missing spur. In practice, to get them to work well they really need shortening. I tend not to use them and instead score a line with a cutting gauge or knife - and you only need them for cross-grain work.

Have a look at Rob Cosman's other DVD "Rough to Ready" and you'll be wanting a scrub plane next :D

Cheers :wink:

Paul

PS If you have trouble finding a tonguing cutter, that need not necessarily be a problem. Instead of cutting a tongue in one board and a groove in the other, you can always cut a groove in each board and insert a loose tongue. It's easier to do that way, and stronger too if it's a glued joint.

Sometimes there are two screws and spurs on the other side of the body in a 'spares' holding place, worth a look!

If not send me your address via PM, I'm pretty sure I have several knocking about as I have one or two combi planes..... :oops:
Martin

Thanks for the comment guys. When I first came to the forum I noticed reference to The Slope - thought it must be woodworkers also having interest in skiing :D :roll:

Paul - I am not going to look at another Rob Cosman DVD -cause I know I will want a scrub plane. Well I will hold out for as long as possible :wink:
Like the idea of using it to cut a groove and use a loose tongue -shows what a beginner I am :D Understand your comments about the spur etc. Will still try and get all the bits

Martin - No luck with finding the hidden spur. Have pm'd you

Cheers
Tony :D

mahking51":1j9djrgo said:
Sometimes there are two screws and spurs on the other side of the body in a 'spares' holding place, worth a look!
Stanley's I think - Record machined out a storage space in situ.

Sorry, Tony, I did type out an answer yesterday but it got swallowed. I concur with Paul on the groove/loose tongue - it has the added benefit of not planing away you're carefully jointed edge so you frequently get a neater finish. If you do look for a replacement cutter then make sure it's got its depth stop. The spur cutter is also no great loss. Think it could be an earlier example of a 050a btw, but I don't have enough on the labels that came on them to be sure. Some time between 1935 and the mid-50s at least.

As a rule of thumb it's best to get these planes complete - unfortunately finding spares can sometimes end up costing more than the complete plane. On the other hand for owners of multiple examples you can often find one plane can cover for the deficiency in the other, which is as good an excuse as any... :whistle:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":svc5g6l6 said:
On the other hand for owners of multiple examples you can often find one plane can cover for the deficiency in the other, which is as good an excuse as any... :whistle:

Cheers, Alf

Errrm! thats how I got to own two Record 043 :lol: I think I nicked the depth stop for something else, cant think what. :roll:

Alf, thanks for your comments. It would have been better i agrees to have got the plane complete - seems diffucult to do sometimes using the Bay- without the knowledge . I reasoned myself that the tongue cutter would be no great loss - however had not thought about the groove/loose tongue until mentioned here by Paul and you. 8)

Martin has kindly volunteered to have a look to see if he has any spare spurs (resist obvious comment :D ). In the meantime I will keep an eye out for the replacement cutter (really just to have the complete kit).

Your comments on the date look spot on. The manual (assume original) has a copyright date 1949.

Cheers
Tony :D

Tonyw,
Just a quick thought. Why not make one yourself. Some O2 steel, cut out shape, file, harden, sharpen.
See Philly articles about blade making.

regards

alan

mahking51":3dt888ur said:
Alf wrote:
owners of multiple examples

Mmmmmm, are you sure you are not looking for a career in the civil service...?
I think c******ors would be neater don't you? :p :p
You might think that; I couldn't possibly comment. :-# :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Alf,
Is the depth stop really necessary on the tongue blade? You can just use the depth stop on the plane instead. The real usefulness of the missing depth stop on the blade is when haggling the seller to lower the price.

Frank,

Yebbut given that the tonguing cutter is planing away the entire edge on either side of the plane, it kinda leaves you without anything for the depth stop to stop on. Although you could rig up an additional batten clamped on one side mebbe? :-k You can get away with it on the #55 because you can use the centre bottom (iirc) instead. I think the #55's cutters weren't necessarily equipped with a depth stop because of that, but I'm not sure.

Cheers, Alf

I see Alf,
Thanks, makes perfect sense now. Actually I was kind of thinking of my 55 (still rather new to me, but one missing depth stop on the tongue cutter made for some bonus cutters); I've never tried tongue and groove joints with my 50.

Back