Botched watch engraving, what would you do?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodmonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Just had a watch engraved for a Christmas present and they've made a right mess of it, it looks like she did it drunk. The letters don't follow the curve of the watch and the letter size is inconsistent. The watch cost £80… am I in my rights to expect them to replace it as there's obviously no way to re-do the engraving? The shop owner wasn't there when I picked it up just a young lad working there so I need to go back and discuss with him.
Opinions welcome

I would say you should request a new one OR it made good

It will depend upon the material and of course what you requested to have done

Some materials will allow a surface to be taken off and re-engraved, but really you need to discuss it with the shop who did it, take any paperwork you have to support your case

Woodmonkey":ozicqq0t said:
Just had a watch engraved for a Christmas present and they've made a right mess of it, it looks like she did it drunk. The letters don't follow the curve of the watch and the letter size is inconsistent. The watch cost £80… am I in my rights to expect them to replace it as there's obviously no way to re-do the engraving? The shop owner wasn't there when I picked it up just a young lad working there so I need to go back and discuss with him.
Opinions welcome

May have to check the small print on the T&Cs. The classic one was film developers, who would, if they messed up your film, replace the film. About a fivers worth.

Never mind if the photographs were of something that was difficult/expensive to recreate.

BugBear

If the watch has been ruined, which I expect it has, then the shop should replace it. If you don't get an agreement, then tell the shop owner that you will be seeking legal action. Costs of that will add to the claim.I think he should comply and anyway he should be insured for this sort of thing.

I would suggest two aporoaches,
Yes go back to the engraver, your entitled to a reasonable result and what you described isn’t. If the engraver gets a little flustered then letter before action.

The alternative is to photograph the watch engraving and email the manufacturer / shop you bought it from. It’s highly likely that they will be able to provide a new back for the watch for a small amount of money. They may even give it you. I’m assuming the engraving is on the back lid that will detach.

deema":3rk5iei6 said:
I would suggest two aporoaches,
Yes go back to the engraver, your entitled to a reasonable result and what you described isn’t. If the engraver gets a little flustered then letter before action.

The alternative is to photograph the watch engraving and email the manufacturer / shop you bought it from. It’s highly likely that they will be able to provide a new back for the watch for a small amount of money. They may even give it you. I’m assuming the engraving is on the back lid that will detach.

That's a really good idea - worth bearing in mind.

Back