Bosch GCM10SD

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotswood

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Reckon the time is here for a new SCMS and the Bosch seems to tick all the boxes. Best price I've found is Axminster's £399. Anyone know where i could find it cheaper or a good alternative to this beast?
Thanks for any help/opinions.
Graham

i think that's about the cheapest you'll find it. It was 369 when I bought it last month, but I think everywhere else I looked was £100 dearer

Have a good look around the internet sites for Bosch promotions. I recently bought the GCM10S at a promotion and received the GTA3700 leg stand unit free with the saw. That promotion has now finished but there might be others about.

The stand by the way is well worth the money if you are not able to get a free one.

Les

Hi Guys,
Les and Wizer are you both pleased with the saw? If you were buying another would it be the same model?
Thanks for the help guys.
regards,
Graham

Hiya

I would highly recommend the Bosch, had one for 4 months now and use it most weeks and still loving it. If you can fit it in go for it and I would deffo get another one.

To be honest I only went to buy the Bosch stand as I already had a Makita ls1040 chop saw and a Makita ls1013 sliding mitre saw, but the deal was so good for the saw and free stand that I bought the saw and sold my ls1040.

IMHO the main differences between the ls1013 and the GCM10S are

Makita

1 Spring return on the sliding cross cut means saw is always in the return position with a better feel for cutting.

2 The trenching facility is able to flip out of the way without loosing your setting.

3 Fence is closer to blade with a part removable for angle cuts, a bit safer.

Bosch

1 Capable of 62 deg mitre cuts ( ideal for roofs etc)

2 Better setting of trenching option but not able to flip out of way.

3 Fence has markings on it for repeat cuts

4 No extension arms as standard.

Both good saws apart from the 62 deg mitre cut I think the Makita is slightly better.

Les

Try powertools uk, save a fiver on it, or theres a dw712 cheaper than that and you get a work mate thrown in.

This is the best on line tool shop on the market, in my opinion,I always order from them delivered within 2 days and usually cheaper than every where else.

les chicken":jaq88qfy said:
4 No extension arms as standard.
:-s Typo? 'Cos it's got the pull out ones.

The Bosch also has all the settings accessible from the front, all tools "on board", adjustable angle for the handle and iirc, larger fence and table area (which personally I like).

Had it for almost a year now and I'd get it again at the drop of a hat, and that's even though I had to pay a bundle more for it. :evil:

Cheers, Alf

Another thumbs up for the Bosch here.

As regards the stand, the Ax stand is basic. Very basic. Sturdy and rugged, yes, but the method of attaching the saw - any saw - to it is dire. The SIP stand is much better even though it is essentially the same construction.

I've made a quick-mount base for mine, I'm hoping Nick will publish it soon.

One of the poor design features of ALL these stands is that the rollers are mounted in the centre line of the stand, whereas you really need board support only to the front of the saw - you don't have any wood hanging behind the back! This is exacerbated if you attach a subsidiary fence. I'm thinking of having some welding done to change the position of the rollers.

But the saw is definitely a good machine, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Steve

Totally disagree with you

The bosh GTA3700 stand is brilliant. The method of fixing gives four good bolts to fit the saw to the units that just clip on to the stand. The back of the extension rollers align with the fence on the saw saw so no wasted bits. With the saw removed the units have rubber feet so the saw can be used on a flat surface.

I think that you are looking at a different stand to the one I am quoting.

Les

les chicken":16kgb75s said:
I think that you are looking at a different stand to the one I am quoting.

Les

Les, we are at one :)

I was referring to the Ax stand that came with mine. Perhaps I didn't make that clear. I do think, however, that the issue of the roller support position is common to most (certainly all the ones I've seen- although I haven't seen the Bosch, very happy to be proved wrong on this).

Hi,
Just bought a GCM10SD myself really like the overall design but will return with the usage report in a few months.
I have one niggle though - I have owned Dewalt saws (712 and 708) in the past and the Bosch has the same minor niggle.
Brand new out of the box and the sliding rails have to be adjusted, no note in the manual how, but it needs to be done . Vibration always leads to wear!!
If you grab the head of the saw and rock it side to side there is a slight play this can be eliminated by CAREFULLY adjusting the 2 top allen screws on the Rail mounting Yoke, they only need slgiht adjustment to eliminate the play but like all of these saws it needs to be done.
Anyone elase oticed this ?

Regards

Arch

I have one niggle though - I have owned Dewalt saws (712 and 708) in the past and the Bosch has the same minor niggle.
Brand new out of the box and the sliding rails have to be adjusted, no note in the manual how, but it needs to be done . Vibration always leads to wear!!
Is this the vibration on start up that I spookily have just asked about in general woodworking?

Alan

I gave mine a shake last night and it also has play. Will have a go at adjusting it when I have time.

Back