• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Bosch Cordless Drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

DIY Stew

Established Member
Reaction score
As my old Makita cordless is on its last legs, I am asking Santa for a replacement. I have spotted this and think its a good price for Li-on, has anyone tried this model and if so any good?

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?a ... egories%3C{9372015}/categories%3C{9372047}/categories%3C{9372203}/categories%3C{9392094}/specificationsProductType=cordless/specificationsSpecificProductType=combination_drills

It will get only light diy use.

Thanks

Stew

Pete Maddex

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Its the wrong colour. Blue bosch trade, green DIY.
I would stick with Makita I have loads of there stuff and its all very good, most contractors seem to have swtiched to Makita from Dewalt.

Pete

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought the previous version to this http://www.axminster.co.uk/bosch-bosch- ... rod827552/ for general DIY use. It is fantastic, and the lightness of it is really useful when it comes to having to drill/drive into ceilings etc.

If it broke, I would definately buy another one. It has been used for a good variety of things and has performed very well indeed.

dickm

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got the earlier NiCd one - the body looks basically the same. It's definitely light and easy to use, but also definitely not "trade", and it's got to smell pretty hot when setting 2"+ screws into tanalised pine. But fortunately, it takes the same battery fitting as the trade models, so got a bare trade drill to go with it for heavier jobs, which was only about £25

..."pays yer money and takes yer choice"

woodstainwilly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi like Marcros I have the earlier model. It is a good working tool with good battery's
Better than any drill I have used in the price range.
Willy.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
I've got the later (lithium) Bosch one. It is very willing, but, although it's the third Bosch generation I've bought - the first one was green - it'll probably be the last.

Each has been poorer build quality than the one before, and the current one has about 1/2mm of play in the shaft. The original green one had no discernable play and still doesn't after a hard life. I'm seriously considering rebuilding its battery, as the new one simply won't do for precision work - you can't guarantee it'll put a hole where you want it to.

The new one is fine for screwdriving - will do it all day with three batteries - but I'm doubtful as to how long it will last. The LED lamp is a silly gimmic - it's too close to the axis to actually light the work's surface.

I had a look at the white (or pink!) Makita equivalent the other day: same size but obviously better build quality. No play in the shaft, either. It is more expensive, but I probably won't buy Bosch next time (their L-box system boxes are a PITA too - way too large and not very strong - a Systainer would've been far better).

Just my twopence...

E.

PS: To be clear, I'm referring to this:

versus this:

The Makita is on offer as a twin set at the moment (£145) for less than the Bosch 'official' price for just the drill.
I got my Bosch with a GOP multi tool, which is really useful for DIY, but I paid over £200. If I'd seen the Makita kit I'd have thought very hard about it. The battery technology is identical, but not interchangeable because of the outer battery cover. If there's a difference in battery life, it'll be down to electronics and motor consumption.

wcndave

Established Member
Reaction score
Ah got it now. I have the previous version of this and works well for light workshop use. However I feel there may be something better out there and would consider makita next time.

Howie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Stew
I was at the big orange place yesterday and spotted that Bosch, for the money you can't really beat it.
I have had several green bosch tools for years and find them good value. I don't use them everyday, but when I do they get a fair bit of abuse on the site by my guys and have not yet had one fail.
On the other hand I also spotted they are doing the 18v Makita with 2 Ni-cd batteries for £99. Suggest a visit might be in order as they have a few interesting items at good reductions.
Howie

DIY Stew

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help guys, just to let you know I went for the Makita 18v with Ni-cd as mentioned by Howie.
The bad news is SWMBO wants to wrap it for xmas and put it under the tree :(

Stew

DIY Stew

Established Member
Reaction score
Eric The Viking":dbqtg8c2 said:
Explain her Christmas present might not happen if you can't actually use it!

Works* here... :)

E.

*for small values of "works".
Eric

There are certain parts of my anatomy which I would like to stay attached to my body. I don't want a squeaky voice. :cry:

Stew

Howie

Established Member
Reaction score
I think also spotted B&Q had 25% off their socket sets, might be useful in case you need to tighten up those "squeaky nuts". ;-)
Don't know if WD40 is on sale though.
Howie