Bosch Cordless Drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIY Stew

Established Member
Reaction score
As my old Makita cordless is on its last legs, I am asking Santa for a replacement. I have spotted this and think its a good price for Li-on, has anyone tried this model and if so any good?

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?a ... egories%3C{9372015}/categories%3C{9372047}/categories%3C{9372203}/categories%3C{9392094}/specificationsProductType=cordless/specificationsSpecificProductType=combination_drills

It will get only light diy use.

Thanks

Stew

Hi,

Its the wrong colour. Blue bosch trade, green DIY.
I would stick with Makita I have loads of there stuff and its all very good, most contractors seem to have swtiched to Makita from Dewalt.

Pete

I bought the previous version to this http://www.axminster.co.uk/bosch-bosch- ... rod827552/ for general DIY use. It is fantastic, and the lightness of it is really useful when it comes to having to drill/drive into ceilings etc.

If it broke, I would definately buy another one. It has been used for a good variety of things and has performed very well indeed.

I've got the earlier NiCd one - the body looks basically the same. It's definitely light and easy to use, but also definitely not "trade", and it's got to smell pretty hot when setting 2"+ screws into tanalised pine. But fortunately, it takes the same battery fitting as the trade models, so got a bare trade drill to go with it for heavier jobs, which was only about £25

..."pays yer money and takes yer choice"

Hi like Marcros I have the earlier model. It is a good working tool with good battery's
Better than any drill I have used in the price range.
Willy.

I've got the later (lithium) Bosch one. It is very willing, but, although it's the third Bosch generation I've bought - the first one was green - it'll probably be the last.

Each has been poorer build quality than the one before, and the current one has about 1/2mm of play in the shaft. The original green one had no discernable play and still doesn't after a hard life. I'm seriously considering rebuilding its battery, as the new one simply won't do for precision work - you can't guarantee it'll put a hole where you want it to.

The new one is fine for screwdriving - will do it all day with three batteries - but I'm doubtful as to how long it will last. The LED lamp is a silly gimmic - it's too close to the axis to actually light the work's surface.

I had a look at the white (or pink!) Makita equivalent the other day: same size but obviously better build quality. No play in the shaft, either. It is more expensive, but I probably won't buy Bosch next time (their L-box system boxes are a PITA too - way too large and not very strong - a Systainer would've been far better).

Just my twopence...

E.

PS: To be clear, I'm referring to this:
950798_l.jpg

versus this:
210701_inset4_l.jpg

The Makita is on offer as a twin set at the moment (£145) for less than the Bosch 'official' price for just the drill.
I got my Bosch with a GOP multi tool, which is really useful for DIY, but I paid over £200. If I'd seen the Makita kit I'd have thought very hard about it. The battery technology is identical, but not interchangeable because of the outer battery cover. If there's a difference in battery life, it'll be down to electronics and motor consumption.

Ah got it now. I have the previous version of this and works well for light workshop use. However I feel there may be something better out there and would consider makita next time.

Hi Stew
I was at the big orange place yesterday and spotted that Bosch, for the money you can't really beat it.
I have had several green bosch tools for years and find them good value. I don't use them everyday, but when I do they get a fair bit of abuse on the site by my guys and have not yet had one fail.
On the other hand I also spotted they are doing the 18v Makita with 2 Ni-cd batteries for £99. Suggest a visit might be in order as they have a few interesting items at good reductions.
Howie

Thanks for all your help guys, just to let you know I went for the Makita 18v with Ni-cd as mentioned by Howie.
The bad news is SWMBO wants to wrap it for xmas and put it under the tree :(

Stew

Eric The Viking":dbqtg8c2 said:
Explain her Christmas present might not happen if you can't actually use it!

Works* here... :)

E.

*for small values of "works".

Eric

There are certain parts of my anatomy which I would like to stay attached to my body. I don't want a squeaky voice. :cry:

Stew

I think also spotted B&Q had 25% off their socket sets, might be useful in case you need to tighten up those "squeaky nuts". ;-)
Don't know if WD40 is on sale though.
Howie

Back