Veneered external doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrtree

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum, so please be gentle with me :oops:

I am thinking of having a new front door & B&Q have an oak door which I rather like

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?a ... egories%3C{9372016}/categories%3C{9372049}/categories%3C{9372274}/categories%3C{9392105}/specificationsProductType=timber_doors&fh_refview=lister&ts=1288811526338&isSearch=false&ecamp=aff-p9-awin-001

It is veneered, do you think this might cause any problems?

Thanks for your help

someone posted the exact same question recently maybe do a search.

Ive fitted a few not the B&poo ones though but i bet they are the same as Howdens ones anyway, they are ok more stable than solid wood as they are engineered timber under the veneer but bare in mind it wont be as tough as a solid wood door. I fitted one awhile back and the customer didnt seal it after i had fitted it, like they should have done but 2 months later the door was still in very good condition even with a lot of rain hitting it.

Thanks, I did a search & you are right. There is the same question posted a few weeks back....sorry....the general consensus seemed to be "don't"

Although the topic did go off track somewhat with a considerable amount of "bitching" :roll: not quite sure what that was all about but it had the result that any further useful posts weren't made & posters stayed away.

I've fitted a few of these doors recently, although mine were not from B & Q.
And they are OK, very stable even the full size glass panel ones which I had some reservations about.

TBH the important thing with any ext door is to seal them thoroughly inc inside the lock, latch and handles and top & bottom edges.

I would buy them again.

FWIW most of the door suppliers tell me all doors with a h/wood finish from the large commercial manufacturers will be made this way in the not to distance future.

mrtree":39uzl7yr said:
Only suitable for fully sheltered conditions.

In other words, make sure it doesn't get wet :lol: I wouldn't use a veneered external door - I think it's asking for trouble.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Back