Bora Centipede portable work stand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of mates have them & think they are excellent they say the only drawback is if you’re trying to set them up on uneven ground

As above, needs a flat floor to work well.

As standard, I find it a bit low, but the risers they sell are too expensive for me.

I bought the 8' x 4' one, sanded off the heads of some of the rivets and replaced with bolts so I can convert to 2' x 2' or any other size up to full size. I use it as two 2' square sections more than as the full kit.

I have made sacrificial MDF circular protectors for each leg as picture below in case I set the tracksaw depth too deep.

The 26 dia. bit goes in the holes in the legs and having a few of just that part with countersunk holes in them (possibly 3D printed) allows you to screw them to a bit of ply and use it as a solid table top.

bora.jpg

I have one. Excellent on a flat surface. I put a sub-frame below the custom MFT that I made, and it locks the top to the legs well.
IMG20230625164033.jpg

I built a MFT slab using the Bora legs - I find it great fairly light and easy to setup. Pretty similar to this but I bought a benchdog Rail hinge and fence.

Ground does need to be roughtly flat though

I looked at these but the lack of adjustable legs was a concern for me . As a compromise I went with two pairs of bora speed horses with adjustable legs, add a couple of 2 by fours and you can add any top you choose. The adjustable legs allow you to work on uneven ground or simply raise your working height to your preference. If your wondering why 2 pairs its because I can cut 3 or 4 meter lengths of kitchen worktops into the reqd size while still supporting the off cut. Simple set up and easy to take to the job if required.

I own the 8’x4’ Bora Centipede. Love it, as it’s lightweight, compact when not in use and fast/easy to put up. 8/10.

As mentioned, table height is a bit low for “proper” workbench height. Eg, with an 18mm top. Therefore, I have an 8’x4’ piece of sacrificial 90mm Celotex that I lay over the top. I have lots of spare sheet material kicking around, so currently I am laying it on top of a piece 11mm osb. Perfect height for me (at 6’1”).

I first used it on my Victorian property, which you might be forgiven for thinking had “flat floors”. However, using a relatively thick (rigid and flat) piece of insulation highlighted just how much a Victorian wooden floor can undulate. What a surprise! I was making large frames at the time, so I needed a decent flat surface, and found myself using packers to ensure all of the struts were providing support etc. Out of 15 struts I packed …6 or 7?

But if I’m not using it as an assembly table then I don’t bother using packers.

Took the plunge and bought a 4ft x 4ft version ….great deal from MJ plastics & plumbing in Sittingbourne at £96 in c the carry bag and 4 hold downs - I was passing by so an easy option to collect - but they trade on eBay with free postage 😀

I used MRMDF, and adapted the plan from Peter Parfitt, making it a little smaller. Give me a while and I'll DM you.

I made my top 920x1430mm. I made it that size so that I could easily carry it, and it will also fit in the back of my car, not that I take it anywhere!

I used the plan in the UK MkII jig instructions (also at Axminster tools, as a download).

If I were to make another, I'd make it a bit longer though, by two rows of holes. That way. I could get a bit of a better length between the dogs for the rail.

Attachments

• IMG20230921210904.jpg
    IMG20230921210904.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20230921210939.jpg
    IMG20230921210939.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Back