Bootsale thread 20/5/12

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTR

Established Member
Reaction score
I'll get the ball rolling...

DSC_8702.jpg

Rabone 12" rule graduated in 10ths, 20ths, 50ths and 100ths; Moore & Wright calipers; and unknown Pad Saw for £5.
Small thor hammer (one hide face, one copper) for 30p
Small cramp heads for 50p (thanks to Doris)
Record No4 for a tenner

DSC_8707.jpg

I bought the Record for its "old" style frog, hopefully it will be a good user after some TLC. I've dated it between 1954 and 1956.

I also saw not one but two vernier height gauges, both missing their marking spurs! One was a beautiful Chesterman too :cry:

How did everyone else get on?

Nothing much, although/because it was the first fine day we've had in months. Did get a worktop jig (branded Grampian Power tools), missing its pegs, for a fiver. So all ready now for when our kitchen is enlarged :D
Now who did a thread on using these things.....?????

At last, bootsale threads return!

Lovely old Record Dave, good condition too by the looks of it. £10 is a bit of a bargain I reckon.

Still not much tool stuff at the boot sales up here yet, but I did stumble upon these two at £2 each; a Disston D8 crosscut, 26 inch, 6 1/2 tpi

003-11.jpg

with a nice clear etch

005-10.jpg

and one next to it from the supplier, Meluish. The staining is not as bad in real life and the etch much clearer, I'm just a rubbish photographer!

006-10.jpg

The medallion dates it to 1896-1917 era (according to the Disstonian Institute http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/)

008-6.jpg

and a similar vintage D8 Rip, 28 inch, 4 tpi with the thumb-hole handle

004-10.jpg

The Crosscut is not in bad shape, dead straight and, although rusty, a quick scrape reveals only one small area of pitting. The thumbhole is in worse condition, but not beyond help; it's straight, but a good de-rust is required and it needs jointing badly before sharpening.

Who's next?

Tony Spear":1py2ewmm said:
I assume you mean it badly needs jointing? :mrgreen:

Yes, I will bear that in mind when I boldly go where no saw jointer has gone before, merrily splitting infinitives as I go! :lol:

Hi DTR....

That is a really nice little Record plane and will make an excellent and worthwhile restoration project. I take it you are going to hone the iron and do a few shavings first though? That is a period iron too...nice price! I turned down an old 1910 pat No 5 1/2 Stanley...£20....I already have the Anchor to restore and I want to get more into woodies.

Scouse mate...that is one beautiful thumb-hole saw...I am jealous! These are the only thing I have never ever seen at a bootfair...there were plenty of saws...all rubbish and no etched ones. Those two you found are easily restored....and I bet they will prove very nice users. At worst you can resell them on FleaBay for a large profit...to buy more tools with! =D>

I missed a Record compass plane for £8 by about 5 seconds...dealers again getting better by the day...and this was at 6am!

Anyway...I failed miserably this week...probably about 30 minutes too late...darn it!

DSC_1295.JPG

This is all I managed...and even Alfie looks disgusted...

DSC_1293.JPG

So...what did I get for £1.60....

I simply loved this hammer...could resist it at 10p....

DSC_1281.JPG

The handle was a write off so a quick whittle produced a yew one...and I am needing one exactly this size to tap out my Japanese irons (note the plural now!). It will also be handy for delicate peining of smaller dovetailed infills once I start the chariots.

I appear to have started down the road of hollows and rounds...this 5/8" round is probably user made but superbly done and probably worth all of the 50p I shelled out on it...

DSC_1296.JPG

....the iron is simply beautiful...after honing of course....

DSC_1297.JPG

I have yet to do more testing but I did a quick whizz and it produced a very nice hollow in seconds...probably less time than it would take to say "router bit"!

I think this is probably a mistake but as long as I keep to bootfairs I should be ok.

All are sitting on a rather nice biscuit jointed box at only 50p...which I had to have...I already have a nice use for that....

Oh...and I bought a radio! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jim

Back