Further adventures in second hand land

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G S Haydon":1qn05big said:
Great results memzey! Mike, a cap iron can fit irons that are not flat. Sure a flat stone is fine but it's not difficult to make a cap iron fit a less than perfect iron.

Hello,

I said an iron sharpened like a carvers skew could be extremely sharp, but could not have a cap iron fit. Don't find argument where there are none #-o

The rest, I talked about not being obsessive about flatness, so I'm not seeing you make any point I didn't. Tool back flatness is a desirable ancillary benefit to sharpening the flat side, which has to be done as well as the bevel. The argument about obsessive flatness among 'modern' woodworkers is a red herring.

Mike.

:Mike, no argument from me :D, don't assume everything is combative. If we can't ask, question and reflect on posts what's the point of having a forum to discuss things? I value what you write and find it informative and interesting. Looking at your post again I see what you were aiming at sorry for not reading it properly!

Hello,

Graham, I didn't mean to sound offended, and I agree with you. Cap irons can be fitted to plane irons out of flat. But flat is often easier, despite the objections of some here. There is an interesting commentary on the processes incolved in designing things in David pye's books. For example, timber is made for purchase at a fair expense, flat square and cut to standard widths, because it is much cheaper in the long run, even if those standard sizes are not optimal for the job. It would not be done so otherwise, but it has been found that it is the most efficient process overall. I suppose it is similar that keeping flat sides of tools better than not, as custom fitting cap irons to planes is more long winded in the end.

Mike.

No worries Mike, bloody text makes things seem off. And don't get me wrong I want a stone to be flat enough, much like CC said. I think it makes perfect sense. I've been on the lookout for a Washita stone and as mentioned also by CC it's actually rare to see really grim stones on ebay. I have and will continue to use all the surface of the stone I bought, not just the middle. Peace :)

Just out of curiosity. Why are you interested in a Washita? They are just marginally easier to flatten and slower for simmilar grade SiC stone.

Back