Books for small box projects

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nightofjoy

Reaction score
Hi.

I just ordered a very basic chop saw after getting the woodwork bug last year. I made a couple of pretty decent things out of scrap wood, but I had no way of cutting perfectly straight ends, so my pieces were, how to put it... informal, in appearance :)

I'd like to start tinkering again in the new year. Small projects I can work on at a desk indoors, if I cut any larger pieces outdoors with the new chop saw. Ideally small boxes and chests. I'd like to spend the colder winter months fiddling with small indoor projects then when the weather is better, scale those skills up when it's warm enough to take on bigger projects outside.

Can anyone suggest some good books for making boxes, learning proper corners on small jobs etc? There are plenty on Amazon but I'd rather hear from someone with experience.

Preferably metric.

Thanks.

Hi.

I just ordered a very basic chop saw after getting the woodwork bug last year. I made a couple of pretty decent things out of scrap wood, but I had no way of cutting perfectly straight ends, so my pieces were, how to put it... informal, in appearance :)

I'd like to start tinkering again in the new year. Small projects I can work on at a desk indoors, if I cut any larger pieces outdoors with the new chop saw. Ideally small boxes and chests. I'd like to spend the colder winter months fiddling with small indoor projects then when the weather is better, scale those skills up when it's warm enough to take on bigger projects outside.

Can anyone suggest some good books for making boxes, learning proper corners on small jobs etc? There are plenty on Amazon but I'd rather hear from someone with experience.

Preferably metric.

Thanks.

Metric? Chance would be a fine thing 😭 . I work entirely in metric, but very, very few books seem to share my belief that the 19th century is best left behind...

Anyway, I really like the Taunton's Illustrated Guide to Box Making (Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Box Making (Complete Illustrated Guide Series): Amazon.co.uk: Jewitt, Jeff: 9781561585939: Books), which I bought for my father and managed to read (mostly) before it made it into the post to him! I'll probably buy my own copy soon. I've got a few others ("Box Making, 25 Projects for Storage & Display" & "52 Boxes in 52 Weeks" & "Simply Beautiful Boxes"), but they're much better for design inspiration than techniques - I don't want to make boxes to other people's designs, but it is nice to see lots of other designs to get ideas so they help for that.

Disclaimer: I'm new to woodworking so I haven't actually made many boxes yet!

Metric? Chance would be a fine thing 😭 . I work entirely in metric, but very, very few books seem to share my belief that the 19th century is best left behind...

Anyway, I really like the Taunton's Illustrated Guide to Box Making (Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Box Making (Complete Illustrated Guide Series): Amazon.co.uk: Jewitt, Jeff: 9781561585939: Books), which I bought for my father and managed to read (mostly) before it made it into the post to him! I'll probably buy my own copy soon. I've got a few others ("Box Making, 25 Projects for Storage & Display" & "52 Boxes in 52 Weeks" & "Simply Beautiful Boxes"), but they're much better for design inspiration than techniques - I don't want to make boxes to other people's designs, but it is nice to see lots of other designs to get ideas so they help for that.

Disclaimer: I'm new to woodworking so I haven't actually made many boxes yet!

Brilliant, thanks

I got this book for Christmas and although not solely about boxes it does have some in it.

Cheers James

Attachments

• IMG_20210104_184129127.jpg
    IMG_20210104_184129127.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 7
All books are in metric, some use blocks of 25.4mm called inches, that’s the only difference.

Whilst it was the only way in the past to buy books, I can’t think of any I’ve seen in recent years that aren’t mostly covered by online materials (albeit in a higher entropy form). For inspiration there’s the Book of Boxes as mentioned above, but for techniques etc I think you’re better off buying tools and materials than books now

Aidan

YouTube YouTube YouTube ! Small box, big box, tables, benches the works. From basic projects with little tool collection needed to much bigger projects. Plenty of free plans on Pinterest to print off.

Books any youtube aren't mutually exclusive, books can be full of inspiring photos in a way yt isnt, yt can show techniques in a way books struggle to. Factor in pinterest and forums like this one, though, and books start to struggle to compete

Andrew Crawford has written a few books. Worth looking for those. Even better, go on one of his courses. It’ll teach you more than YouTube and books combined.

I am a big fan of making boxes and have quite a few books I would recommend you buy:
1. For starters and if you have never made a box before, buy the "The Book of Boxes by Andrew Crawford". Good range of construction styles, veneer techniques and project-based which I think it helps for the first boxes you make
2. I would then buy the Taunton's Illustrated Guide to Box Making, this one is very good for techniques and construction details but it is mainly power tools based and assumes you have access to a table saw all the time
3. Making Heirloom Boxes by Peter Lloyd, Peter makes things a bit different than most and the book can be a bit of documentary on his own way of doing things but it still is one of my favourites
4. 52 Boxes in 52 Weeks, I was in the fence about this one for a while and I am still not sure I would recommend it to someone who is just starting out, it is mainly a book about design exploitation by using different proportions, wood, materials and so on but it has a very limited range of box styles (i.e. you better like mitered boxes )

Andrew Crawford has written a few books. Worth looking for those. Even better, go on one of his courses. It’ll teach you more than YouTube and books combined.

He now runs the course on zoom if you are interested as well. He will ship the materials to you and guide you through the building of the box in 3 sessions. I have done it at the beginning of the year and I found it good

I am a big fan of making boxes and have quite a few books I would recommend you buy:
1. For starters and if you have never made a box before, buy the "The Book of Boxes by Andrew Crawford". Good range of construction styles, veneer techniques and project-based which I think it helps for the first boxes you make
2. I would then buy the Taunton's Illustrated Guide to Box Making, this one is very good for techniques and construction details but it is mainly power tools based and assumes you have access to a table saw all the time
3. Making Heirloom Boxes by Peter Lloyd, Peter makes things a bit different than most and the book can be a bit of documentary on his own way of doing things but it still is one of my favourites
4. 52 Boxes in 52 Weeks, I was in the fence about this one for a while and I am still not sure I would recommend it to someone who is just starting out, it is mainly a book about design exploitation by using different proportions, wood, materials and so on but it has a very limited range of box styles (i.e. you better like mitered boxes )

I'm currently reading the Taunton one and yes it is very power tools heavy especially the table saw, although nothing that you can't do with a handsaw, bandsaw, or router with a jig or two to replace the table saw.

I looked at the 52 boxes one but the designs looked mostly bland and uninspiring. If you just want to make a simple box there's plenty of ideas on the internet. I suppose if you follow the course as practice for consistency and technique it might be helpful but after a year it looks like you'll end up with 52 reasons to have a bonfire.

Second shout for Peter Lloyd's 'Making Heirloom Boxes'. This book encouraged me to look at different ways to make boxes, to see the wood as the 'art' and to use it with minimal embellishment. And Peter is a very sound guy! Well worth a read.

Hi,

I have a book case full of expensive woodworking books that I've not touched for years; I'm a great fan of YouTube and Pinterest as Simondo923 has already posted.

When I started woodworking 44 years ago I didn't have the luxury of a computer or all the modern videos etc. so it was buying books and I've still got every book I bought including five volumes of Holtzapffel books on turning and mechanical manipulation these alone I believe then cost £105. Now I browse the web for information which is free.

Good luck and please be very careful if you've never used a chop saw previously; a word of caution up front because years ago a neighbour bought a chop saw from Aldi and ended up spending two years visiting Bradford hospital for skin grafts he had been cutting mitres and and removed his entire thumb from his hand. I had cut the thick newel posts on my big Wadkin chop saw but when I offered to cut all the spindles he was keen to try his new chop saw out. Play safe.

Kind regards, Colin.

I rarely look at Pinterest, I think it's on the other side of my "social media can become overwhelming" line but if there's some good channels (is that what they're called?) it would be good to post them here. More of an Instagram person myself.

If you prefer to work in metric, you can easily dispel your concerns, no matter what you make. Suppose you find a plan for a box which is 12 x 4 x 4 inches. All you have to do is think in terms of proportions: here it is 3:1:1 with the length of the “1” being whatever pleases you. All you need then is a pair of dividers.

One of the most useful things you can do is to abandon numbers as early in a project as possible. A book that I found very useful in this context is “By Hand And Eye” (Walker & Tolpin) published by the Lost Art Press. I think Classic Hand Tools stock it.

Andy Pickard Woodworker has a load of books to clear at the moment.
Your best to see the selection on his latest @andypickard Instagram page
IMG_20210106_124142.png
IMG_20210106_124211.png
IMG_20210106_124306.png
IMG_20210106_124020.png

I think they are £5 + post each
Your ok to call him.
Phone: 01225 782030.
Mobile: 07836 766326.

Back