Books and DVD recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Rich

There's a lot of really good books available, Collins complete woodworkers manual is a good start, try your local library and if you find something you think will be needed in the future try Amazon for second hand books.

DVDs, YouTube has a host of tips and don't forget Steve Maskery, here's a link to his site.

http://www.workshopessentials.com/shop/

HTH

BH

Thanks both
I will try your suggestions
I have already learned a lot from you tube. There is a good one about chisels.
I can do quite neat hinges now :)

This is pretty advanced precision stuff by David Charlesworth, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ydZ8hI4G4but if you digest what he says, and aim for his standard you will not go far wrong. There are 7 on YT. Of course you could buy them from him on DVD. Steve Maskery also has some excellent stuff on DVD.

Golden rule....take.....your.....time!

You will be in a desperate hurry to see the finished item, but enjoy and savour the process of getting things right as much as seeing the job done and it will be twice as satisfying. Be prepared to make mistakes, and have to start over, it happens to everyone. Just be patient and regard it as part of the process.

richard56":3akvfq36 said:
Grayorm
After watching that video forget what I said about my chiseling.

:lol: If you try and replicate David's standard and fall 25% short you will be close enough to an acceptable job for us mere mortals.

And having just commented on the kick-back thread.....make safety your watchword.

That seems like a really good course.
Sadly I'm not much good on courses. I get brain freeze. I think it's a confidence thing.

You will not have any issues with Peter and his courses. Peter is very relaxed and very patient.

The course is run at your pace and the days are as long (within reason) as you like. Many times students are still there after the 5pm close and even later on finish Friday.

Big Gaz":3dni47su said:
You will not have any issues with Peter and his courses. Peter is very relaxed and very patient.

The course is run at your pace and the days are as long (within reason) as you like. Many times students are still there after the 5pm close and even later on finish Friday.

I am tempted now, I think I will get some practice in "down the shed" first.

Richard;

I wish DVDs and VHS had been around when Charles H. Hayward was working. But they weren't, and sadly the man himself is no longer with us. However, he left behind a wealth of books, which are all goldmines to woodworkers. He was 'the man', for me. His 'Evans' published books are often found on the flea-bay and AbeBooks.co.uk

Titles you might find indispensable:

Carpentry for Beginners.
Cabinetmaking for Beginners.
Woodwork Joints.

HTH :)

I think I will go and have another read, to get me through my recuperation. :D

Benchwayze":5de0pzly said:
Richard;

I wish DVDs and VHS had been around when Charles H. Hayward was working. But they weren't, and sadly the man himself is no longer with us. However, he left behind a wealth of books, which are all goldmines to woodworkers. He was 'the man', for me. His 'Evans' published books are often found on the flea-bay and AbeBooks.co.uk

Carpentry for Beginners.
Woodwork Joints.

Thank you Benchwayze.
I will keep a look out for those books.
Recuperation?

richard56":20vhpace said:
Benchwayze":20vhpace said:
Richard;

Carpentry for Beginners.
Woodwork Joints.

Thank you Benchwayze.
I will keep a look out for those books.
Recuperation?

Rich,

You're most welcome. Reference recuperation.
I am 're-coop-erating', (recovering from) my second knee-replacement operation. Thus I can't get hands-on with any woodwork at the moment.

Enjoy

:D

Back