Book needed on dust extraction.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an American publication 'Controlling Dust in the Workshop' by Rick Peters. Stirling ISBN 0-8069-3689-4. Haven't read any others to compare but I found it excellent. Can't remember where I obtained it but most likely Amazon. Hope this helps.
Jim

Beardo16":iuo3zlpj said:
Hi guys

I was wandering if anyone could recomend a good book on dust and chip extraction for a plambed in system.

Adam

Hi Adam, I've just completed a 12' x 20' workshop and although I'd been thinking about the dust extraction issue for some time, I've only recently started seriously looking into how i am going to implement this.
Its well worth visiting www.billpentz.com and read his dust collection research pages which tells you all about hoods, duct sizes, airflow rates, separation methods and the dust related health issues that prompted his work . I have copied and pasted these pages into a 'Word' document (270 or so pages)! so I could read it on the train.
If you want... I can email you a copy. I don't think there are any copyright issues as the information is presented free.
His basic messages are:
1. If you are on a budget and can't afford much more than a simple bag-type extractor then make sure the bags exhaust outside as these machines are only chip collectors to keep the workshop clear, and the harmful fine dust goes right through the bags (despite what the manufacturers claim).
2. If Fine dust exhausting to atmosphere is not possible for whatever reason, then dust separation is the way to go. Bill advocates the use of a cyclone, powerful blower and fine cartridge-type filter arrangement.

Bill's cyclone design is specific to wood-dust separation and incorporates many novel features not seen on other designs

You need to look at this website for more details. There is a ton of good information there (American imperial though) together with duct sizing and cyclone design spreadsheets plus plans to build your own cyclone... fascinating.

Best regards Aidan

Back