Boat Building Book Recommendation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tierney

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a book that covers traditional wooden boat building?

What I am likely to build will only be small (no more than 20') and I prefer the look of clinker built boats.

I am a confident user of tools and have enough of them! I am also reasonably technically minded so can understand drawings, calculations etc.

Thanks,

DT

A good intro is Clinker Boatbuilding by John Leather. No glossy piccies - I think the book was written in the 50's or 60's, line drawings etc but covers the basic small build very well. Regarded as a bit of a 'bible' by the boat building types. Wouldn't be without it as a reference.

Some used copies on Abebooks,co.uk

Good luck.

Hanser,

Thanks for the advice - the word 'Bible' was exactly the description I was looking for!

DT

The john leather book is very good. However it might not be the best one for a first boat. The www.woodenboat.com site is a good place to look for books on building simple boats, some of which explain all the steps from drawing lofting to building. A clinker boat of 20 ft will involve a lot of time and material. I would recommend a small skiff or punt as a first boat. Or one of the plywood clinker dinghies which can be brought as kits or as full size drawings.

Andrewf,

I had ordered the John Leather book by the time you posted; but, it arrived today and I can follow it so far! I will probably start by building a scale model model, then probably a small skiff or punt.

Regards,

DT

Back