Boar.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digit

Established Member
Reaction score
I understand that Boar are either to be culled, or are being culled, depending on the various reports.
Anybody ever seen one?

Roy.

I think what you have read is that they have been classified vermin so as long as you have permission to be on the land, you can shoot them.

IE they are not protected wild life thus the bunny huggers can't bring private court actions.

Mind you I believe a wild boar is one of the most feared animals amongst big game hunters and they take some "bringing down".

Saw the title of the thread (bore) and thought it might be another one about the other side :lol: ...obviously not :lol: - Rob

Mind you I believe a wild boar is one of the most feared animals amongst big game hunters and they take some "bringing down".

Makes sense, after all, they seemed to be highly regarded as 'game' in the past.
Even domestic Pigs can very nasty.
I use to know a chap, now departed, who bred Boars, and he said that they were then, at least, the only animal now slaughtered on the farms as too dangerous to send to slaughter houses.

Roy.

I had friends who used to keep them. Apparently they will eat almost anything. Once a goose poked it's head through the fence and promptly lost it.

It seems that escapees from farms - lots in Kent - have been breeding in the wild and now make a mess of crops etc.

They are very clever and difficult to hunt, also can be dangerous. I saw one break cover once in france. It was huge and just ignored the undergrowth like it wasn't there. Crashed off into the distance and gone in an instant.

I know they are dangerous and inconvenient but I kind of like the idea that there’s something lurking out there that we have to respect. I think it does us good to have this at the back of our minds. Mind you I also think it'd be cool to reintroduce wolves so what do I know?

They used to be hunted by men on horseback with lances - hence 'pig stickers'. Considered to be good training for the battlefield!

We apparently have them in Normandy, but I've never seen one.

yes they are due to cull them here in the Forest of Dean. Its becoming a bit of a regular occurence to see them round here. We even had one in the garden drinking from the dogs water bowl. I dont think i would be too keen to come across one. They do make a really bad mess of the verges though. Think of a mole and times the damage by ten.

milkman":11ms9ev6 said:
Mind you I also think it'd be cool to reintroduce wolves so what do I know?

Absolutely. Couldn't agree more. I'm watching the beaver re-introdcution in Scotland with interest. (Do see if you can avoid the obvious, fellas!).

Mike

Mike Garnham":2bk4prm4 said:
milkman":2bk4prm4 said:
Mind you I also think it'd be cool to reintroduce wolves so what do I know?

Absolutely. Couldn't agree more. I'm watching the beaver re-introdcution in Scotland with interest. (Do see if you can avoid the obvious, fellas!).

Mike

they've got beaver in gloucestershire too just down the road from me in the lower mill estate , cotswold waterpark (nr ashton keynes)

http://www.waterpark.org/society/beavers.html

they are quite cool to watch, footling about - just like water voles only a lot bigger.

lurker":1875ahvh said:
I think what you have read is that they have been classified vermin so as long as you have permission to be on the land, you can shoot them.

strictly speaking there is no such thing as the vermin register anymore - they have been added to the general licence of the countryside and rights of way act

the general licence provides that the landowner or his agents (ie those he gives permision to) can control the species covered without the need for a specific licence so long as he can demonstrate that they are causing him significant nuisance, harm, or economic loss. E.g a farmer can shoot them if they are damaging his crops but you can't just shoot them willy nilly on any land on which you have permision to be on.

the other proviso is that you have to use "appropriate means" which for boar means shooting with a high calibre rifle or at close range with a shotgun and heavy shot.

shotgun and heavy shot.
Blimey BSM, how close would you have to get to ensure a clean kill?
When I had a shotgun certificate the minimum number of shot that was legal, if I recall correctly, was five. In a standard cartridge that isn't a particulary heavy piece of lead is it?

Roy.

Considering the lethality of the species in question, assault rifle sounds like an ok measure. Bear in mind, assault rifles are illegal to own for civilians for hunting purposes in most european countries.

The Wild Boar is considered rather dangerous, but in countries where they're being hunted, like poland, using a shotgun is not unusual.

Me, i'd prefer to have my rifle if hunting wild boar.

Digit":2mkxspfd said:
I understand that Boar are either to be culled, or are being culled, depending on the various reports.
Anybody ever seen one?

Roy.

I've seen a few over the years big and small. Just make sure you get them between the eyes otherwise they'll chew you to pieces.

Russ

I have seen 5 of them!. They were rummaging around near a little pond at the end of our road. 4 of then made a break across the main road back towards the woods, the 5th went down our road towards a garage only to be chased away by one of the mechanics back past me and headed for it's mates. They were juveniles, quite small. Lovely to see and not at all uncommon around here.

Cheers

Andy

You're in Calvados, Andy? Anywhere near the Parc Regional de Normandie? Apparently there are some there. We just get deer (and occasionally cows) running down the road towards us.

Back