BMW Mini Idea for Toy Car - WIP - Plans Done - More Pics

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toesy

Established Member
Reaction score
Been working on this for a while now, you may have seen the VW Bug Hot Rod that I made, which I take no credit for in terms of the plans - as I bought them.

I decided to make my own little hot rod, and wanted to base it around the BMW Mini shape, having tried in inkscape, and others I have so far created the below in Serif (recommended within these forums).

I know right now its just an basic image, and there's a lot more tinkering to do before I even think about cutting one. But I hope I am on the right track

Your thoughts please...

Attachments

• toesys Mini V5 small.png
    toesys Mini V5 small.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,327
I'm impressed, well done. That is certainly recognisable as a modern mini. I'm only just starting to tinker with ideas in Corel Draw so probably can't help much. However might pose a question. Can you scale it to use a common size wooden wheel, ie 3/4 x 5/16 (inches)?

It's certainly obvious what it's meant to be. It'll be interesting to see how you get to a 3D piece of wood from the 2D drawing. A guy on SG's forum did this with a Morgan sports car and made a rough cut of the actual model but I can't remember if he finished it off.

Looks good Toesy.

From one that could not create any type of image on a computer, its far from a basic. =D>

Take care.

Chris R.

Looks good, will you be cutting it in sections like so many of toymaking plans models? should certainly work with the nice basic shape of a mini :)
the morgan plans on steve goods website were done at my request, and are for compound cut, but I have to admit that I haven't cut it yet, needs to be done with a bandsaw, as too thick for the scrollsaw, and went through a long drawn out stage before Christmas when draper replaced my baby bandsaw (millions of brownie points for draper) but the carriers were absolutely useless, in spite of being sent next day delivery took 3 weeks!!!!!!!!
Anyway certainly looks promising, look forward to seeing the finished article =D>

woodndrum":2map7opl said:
I'm impressed, Can you scale it to use a common size wooden wheel, ie 3/4 x 5/16 (inches)?

Yes I can scale it, as I created it in Serif DrawPLus x5, you just highlight all the shapes and then scale.

Here's my first attempt at a prototype, made is using mainly 6mm ply, there are quite a few bits missing at the moment, things like headlights, bumpers, rear light, Spoiler needs doing properly, but its great to get something physical.

Hope you like so far,I think the Spoiler is gonna be much smaller and sleeker,

Attachments

• BMW Mini Prototype.JPG
    BMW Mini Prototype.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 1,221
  • BMW Mini Prototype 3.JPG
    BMW Mini Prototype 3.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,219
Made them myself, they are more than likely not the ones I will go with, as I want to make them different to the other VW Bug Hot Rod car.

No messin' about in the toesy garage! I'm impressed.

(I went into my garage today and stuck it a couple of minutes. I'm considering taking the roof off to let the place warm up to the same as the outside temp. :)

An update,

I have been working on the plans and made some alterations, I have added rear windows, seats front and back, dashboard... Oh and Sunroofs (which Im not entirely happy with) and some headlights, tonight made the car from all pine, prototype was a mix.

To be done,
Front / Rear Bumper, Spoiler, Rear Lights, Exhausts, bonnet scoop.

Hope you like it so far - any suggestions are very welcome

Attachments

• BMW Min 2114 A.jpg
    BMW Min 2114 A.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 1,130
  • BMW Mini 6.JPG
    BMW Mini 6.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 1,130
Toesy.

It looked good from the first attempt/prototype, but you have now produced a serious model, you obviously have an eye for detail. =D>

Take care.

Chris R.

That's starting to look good now, as a MINI owner I didn't like the first attempt too much.

If you're still doing a rear spoiler have a look at the MINI GP model. If you're not sure what that is, search for 'R53 MINI GP'

Looking forward to seeing this finished.

tnoy66":2yujpvcl said:
If you're still doing a rear spoiler have a look at the MINI GP model. If you're not sure what that is, search for 'R53 MINI GP'

Looking forward to seeing this finished.

Thank you... Just got some images of the spoiler and its given me something to work with... Mucho thanks tnoy66

Well spent a bit more time on the Mini tonight....

Added Spoiler - thanks tnoy66
Added Rear Lights, Rear Exhausts and Valance, Front Valance, Bonnet Scoop, Fog Lights.

Hope you like - its pretty much done - I may try making some different wheels... Thanks for the input all.

Attachments

• toesy BMW Mini Hot Rod FINAL 9 REAR.JPG
    toesy BMW Mini Hot Rod FINAL 9 REAR.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 545
  • toesy BMW Mini Hot Rod FINAL 8 LSIDE.JPG
    toesy BMW Mini Hot Rod FINAL 8 LSIDE.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 545
  • toesy BMW Mini Hot Rod FINAL 7 FRONT.JPG
    toesy BMW Mini Hot Rod FINAL 7 FRONT.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 545
  • toesy BMW Mini Hot Rod FINAL 2 RSIDE.JPG
    toesy BMW Mini Hot Rod FINAL 2 RSIDE.JPG